RSC for a crowd.

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
I know that there are some people out there that have done large cooks with RSC so I'm looking for any advice or hints to keep in mind for this cook. I'm cooking a lunch for 70 people at Kerry's work.
I'm going to have 12# pulled pork(cooked weight) but there are a lot of people that don't eat pork in her office.

I'm thinking of doing 90 pieces of chicken,thighs and drums. I can get my hands on a 5x2 charcoal grill with an adjustable grate. Think this grill is big enough?

It all has to be ready at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Bob-that grill should work just fine. How are you gonna season? I do a simple huli-huli chicken using sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I also have recipes for a fancier sauce...

joe

That is plenty of space. Figure a 4 inch square to cook each piece. 15 pieces across and 6 rows deep put you right at 90.

Joe I want to do the Road Side Chicken recipe. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

Kevin thanks for the math. That's going to be one packed grill. I'll have to check it out to see how adjustable height wise the grate is to avoid torching everything. I like to have some extra room to move the chicken around to get it away from the flames.

I only made my first RSC last night (for 5 people
icon_razz.gif
) but with as many as you're cooking for, I'd forgo mopping and instead just dunk each piece in a big bowl when basting.

Hey Bob,

I agree but the legs will not occupy all of the space per piece leaving some extra space. You could also leave the oil out of the basting sauce to help mitigate the flare ups.

Well since the flames are mostly for show I might leave the oil out or use just a little.

I might bring a couple kettles just for some extra space.

Bob;
If at all possible, I would suggest a trial run on the "new" grill before the big event. You don't want anything to interfere with your expectations at "game time".

A friend and I used to grill filet mignons for a bi-annual golf outing. We had to grill 100 steaks at a time. We used a big grill at the golf course. It was several feet wide and long. We learned when to lay the charcoal and when to light. We discovered that using large baskets with a long handle (normally used when grilling fish) enabled us to grill 100 steaks to order with nothing but grins and back slaps after they were served.

You'll find that you will come up with a "system" that will allow you to handle lots of chicken pieces. I might suggest the Cook's Country method shown in their "Grilling Book" for "Classic Grilled Chicken". I believe it can work with a large flat grill if a little thought is put in it. It will be a big help if you use a "trained" assistant (take the assistant with you when you make your trial run).

FWIW
Dale53

Back