Rotisserie thermometer/probe suggestion.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Howdy. Getting back into the hobby after a few years break. New S-670 should be active in a week or two (unless I got my gas hookups wrong.... in which case I will be having a fire sale on slightly used Summit parts.
icon_smile.gif
)

Seriously, what do you guys use for a thermometer / probe solution when you're spinning the meat? Open the lid and use an instant read?

Or has anyone figured a way to route the cable leads for a wireless probe out of the cookbox to the transmitter?

Rob,I'm thinking that you would have to stop the roti and use an instant read. I don't know of any remote probes that are wireless to the sending unit. But I think that would be the next BIG thing in remote thermo technology.

Thanks Phil. Was thinking the same thing. But there are some clever folks out there.

Curious whether there's enough space between the notch for the rod and the lid to get the wire out if the rod's in place.

If yes then maybe I could rig something up.

Originally posted by george curtis:
you can get this.
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et75.htm

i'm almost done modifying my remote to work like this. i just gotta finish a groove in my sleeve and finish the sender bracket.

Saw that. Thanks.

Feedback, some of it on this board, is that the collars don't fit Webers. Recommendations reported from Maverick are to file out or drill out the spit hole. Not something I'm interested in doing to a yet to be unboxed Summit.

I'd be really interested in your mods.

I have something on the drawing board of my own to handle the cable transfer through the cookbox. A little trick I picked up from modifying cars.

Was planning on taking it one step at a time and using velcro or even duct tape if I need to as a temporary way to hold the transmitter in place.

You could get another small rotisserie motor and hook your thermometer to it. As long as they are in sync you should be fine.

Or just flip the switch, open the lid, and probe away. That would be far less of a conversation piece, though.

That might work.

S-670 just came today. Haven't unboxed it yet but got a look at the notch for the spit. There's a lot more room than I thought.

I think I know how to rig this up pretty easily using some really inexpensive parts I've used in the past for engine modifications.

Will update once I give it a shot.

Wow. That would work for sure. I have something much simpler in mind. Wonder if I'm missing something. I'll know more this weekend.

Found it easier than I thought:

ET75 Post

The probes perform well, just be aware is that the wires/cables are heat protected, but will not withstand a direct flame. My ET75 has performed very well since I've had it. I really like it for the rotis.

The modification was very simple to do. EZ-Q is no longer available, but same mod will work on the Weber rotisserie. Shame though, the EZ-Q product is great, still use mine frequently.

Otherwise, yeah I just use the instant read and do spot checks. Like others have offered up thread.

Hey thanks. Got the Summit set up today but my mod will need to wait. Unit came in without the spit. Weber's sending one out though. Gotta' love their customer service.

So Ray, just so I've got it straight, you filed down the walls of the grill right? Not the collar?

Not sure but I think I have a way of doing this without any filing using pretty much any probe.

Need to know what the diameter of the circle described by the spinning spit is to give it a try though.

Sorry, late getting to the response. Rob, yea I only had to file at the top edge of the opening of the extension ring for the rotisserie. Simple.

Hey thanks Ray,

This is turning out to be easier than I thought. I was able to fashion a fitting for the non pointed end of the spit using some brass plumbing fittings. The transmitter will sit on the end using velcro.

Only thing I'm missing is some high temp silicone tubing and I'll be all set. Will post pics when done.

Back