Rotisserie repair

Ken Grove

TVWBB Member
I went to use my rotiserrie burner for the first time in at least a few years and can't get it to light. I followed the instructions - press down knob on high, hit click starter and hold knob at least 20 seconds until going strong. All I could get was a sputter of flames, nothing that would stay lit or get hot. I then tried holding a lighter in front of the ceramic and even held the knob down for probably 5 minutes. Same thing: sputtering flames that would dance from end to end of the ceramic burner, but it just wouldn't take off and go on its own.

What kind of maintenance or cleaning should I try on the ceramic burner? Or is it better just to search for the part and replace the whole burner? I don't know why it's not working. It could be years of grease splatters clogging the ceramic holes or maybe its a gas supply issue. I know it worked in the past, but has been neglected for awhile.

The grill is a Summit built-in by the way. Probably 10 years old.

I have a similar issue, weber vieluxe grill 4 burner, about 15yo. I can get a few flames going but they always sputter out. Is there a best way to light these things? My ignitor sparks but only randomly is able to light the burner for a few seconds. So ive tried lighting with a lighter but end up burning myself or the fkame blows out due to the air/heat movement. I've been able to cook with the burner 2x since the summer, the last time a few weeks ago... so i know it works sometimes.

I'm kinda confused: are you talking about your rotisserie or your gas burner?

Assuming it's your burner you can't get lit (and that it's propane), try this:

1) turn off the tank
2) turn on the burner (to clear the lines) then turn the burner off.
3) then turn the gas back on SLOWLY!!
4) now try lighting the burner

If it now works, what probably happened is that you turned the tank on too fast, creating an air lock in the system. Seems silly but that's what it is. Just turn the propane on slowly next/every time.

If your ignitor can't seem to do the job, maybe it just needs a new battery. I know mine (the battery) loses its power in the cold over the winter/just over time. In case you didn't know the battery is underneath the rubber push button you use to do the ignite.

Back