Rotisserie on performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb s

TVWBB Fan
I recently purchased a SS redhead performer on craigslist. Frame and bowl are in great shape can’t say the same about the lid. It also included a rotisserie but the forks are missing. Decided to call Weber customer service and price a replacement lid ($41.4) and forks. After he priced the lid, asked the price for replacement forks and he said he could not sell them to me because no performer was made to accept a rotisserie without modifications.
Has anyone heard of this or had an issue using a rotisserie on a performer? I finally asked him if it was a safety issue and all he would say was yes. After I told him I would use it on my 22” kettle he gave me a price of 14.25 for two forks and the associated hardware.
Also, would you pay $41.40 for a replacement rehead lid? Not sure how long the one that’s on it will last. Lots of coating is off under the vent and around the edge. If I purchase the lid I’ll still have less than $100 in it and a rotisserie for my kettle.

Thanks,
HerbS

That's interesting, maybe I got someone who didn't know what he was talking about or misinformed. If it's a safety issue I would think putting the rotisserie on a performer would and safer and more stable than putting it on a standalone kettle.

I'm going to call back later this week and see if I get the same information.

Thanks,
HerbS

When I called them they said they didn't have any red lids except the new brick red ones, if you can get a real red lid out of them at any price I would get it

Kendall, I asked if I could get a red replacement lid and he said that would not be a problem. He knew I was pricing parts for a 1998 model I didn't think to ask him specifically if it would match the older red until after I hung up. You are probably right it is the new brick red color.

HerbS

I use my rotisserie on my Performer all of the time and I have no problems using it. I can even get the lid to stay in the lid holder when I open the grill.

Herb-

I received the response below from Weber concerning the compatibility of the Weber Kettle Rotisserie on the Performer.  

"The Rotisserie for the Kettle grills is not compatible with the Performer or Platinum grills. When the ring is put on the grill bowl, the lid roller attachment prevents the ring from sealing properly.  Heat will escape from the gap between the ring and the bowl and the food may not cook properly.  The decision to purchase is the customer's, but we don't recommend it."

With that said, I agree with what everyone else said is to give it a try. I've seen no one come up on the net and said they don't recommended using it.

Mike 

BS! So what if the lid holder bolts touch the rotis ring? It never bothered any of my cooks, and I've thought of just grinding a groove in the rings to alleviate it, but its one of those thing I can live with.
100_2303.jpg

100_2302.jpg

Weber is out of touch on so many levels.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/9971072616

Mike, Interesting response from Weber.

Brian, Nice setup and great looking birds.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will definitely give it a try.

HerbS

Those are gorgeous redheads!

And yes, it seems that Weber is letting possible product liability claims affect their procedures - and given what it costs to defend frivolous lawsuits these days and, in some cases, to pay settlements and judgements where the user's stupidity should have been a complete defense to the action, one hardly can blame them.

Still, it seems to get a bit out of hand sometimes. This seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon. For example, I purchased a natural gas to propane conversion for a Genesis Silver B about two years ago - one call, $60 bucks later, and I had a propane burner. Now, they won't sell that conversion kit, saying it's unsafe. What is unsafe is folks who have no idea what they are doing and who won't read instructions or get help screwing up the installation and screwing up a good thing for the rest of us.

Pat (climbing down off of his soapbox)

Herb and others,

I will be testing the Weber Rotisserie on Sunday with either a bone in pork loin or a large chicken (photos certainly to follow for the results).

I wanted to try the Weber Rotisserie before I buy and just so happens a friend of mine has one on his OTG, so I borrowed it for a few days.

As you can see in the 3 photos, it sits well on the performer with no noticeable obstruction or fitting issues. In the two up close photos you can see that the bolts that fasten the performer lid holder that the rotisserie ring fits right on them evenly and in fact in the 3rd close up photo the ring has serval external tabs which fit at the same height as the with the lower kettle lid bolts. Something tells me that perhaps that the ring tabs are a recent modification just so it can be used with the performer. I see no issues.

Mike

web.jpg

web2.jpg

web3.jpg

Ok, here's the Performer in action with the Weber Rotisserie. Tonight I decided to give a first attempt with a 4 bone in pork loin.

Here's a prep photo with the loin lathered in a olive oil, garlic, and rosemary rub.
ba3b391c.jpg

After an hour or so in room temp, I skewered it and counterbalanced the weight.
204c4b06.jpg

Next, placed on the performer, two fire indirect with baskets separated with a drip pan, motor engaged and stayed around 350 degrees for 90 minutes.
64962c31.jpg

Photo with the rotisserie in action while I had a few cold ones.
0566c11b.jpg

About half way through, added a few coals just to keep the temps up and basted it with leftover rub.
ba3b391c.jpg

The finished product in the kitchen ready for carving. Very impressed with the overall rounded/balanced grilling and flavor throughout. Not a great deal of talking around the dinner table this evening with the family--a good sign. In my opinion, the Weber rotisserie is a keeper with the Performer, absolutely no issues. Looking forward to some chicken as my next endeavor.
msches01

Mike

Mike,

Pork roast looks great, the finished product looks awesome. I did a chicken yesterday, sorry no pictures, we were equally impressed with the results. Rotisserie ran very smoothly with no jerking action that I've experienced with other rotisserie. Results were an extremely juicy and tender chicken. Chicken was rubbed with oil, salt, pepper and thyme and stuffed with a couple sprigs of rosemary.

I experienced absolutely no problems using it on the performer.

Thanks,
Herb S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back