Rookie to the smoking world

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I was fortunate enough to get a WSM for Christmas...now I just need to figure out how to use the dang thing. I am pretty experienced in grilling, but the low and slow is new to me. I smoked a chicken and pork loin just because I had to use my new toy! My friends and fam raved about the pork...the chicken was a bit dry.

Really enjoyed all the tips all over this site so far! Dying to do a brisket, any suggestions? Flats and points and rubs and marinades???? AHHHH! No idea there was so much involved. Thanks all!

Chris A's cooking topics are always a good place to start.

Get yourself a good meat thermometer, it will make a ton of difference for your poultry.

Mike, welcome to the play house. My suggestion on the birds, if you don't already, is BRINE. Very simple to do and cheap. Adds a world of moisture and flavor if you want it. Keep on smokin and you will learn a lot just by doin' Oh and readin' here of course.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Hey Mike,
Here's an easy first timer recipe for a brined bird. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stefan, did I miss something in that recipe? He uses a marinade not a brine.

Mark

Mike for a simple brine mix 3/4 cup Kosher salt, 3/4 cup torbinado sugar to a gal of water. Heat till salt and sugar are disolved, cool in frige till cool, add birds to brine for approx 1hr/lb. I also add a cup of Wishbone Italian dressing at times for that flavor. You don't have to use a gal of water, just follow the ratios. There are lots of ways to skin this cat this one works and is simple and cheap.

Mark

All excellent advice. Much appreciated. I will definitely brine my next bird. Any advice for my first brisket?

I did take a look at the link you sent stefan...just wondering if there was anything else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_Mc:
All excellent advice. Much appreciated. I will definitely brine my next bird. Any advice for my first brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Mike after you brine the bird wash it inside and out and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for a couple hours to air dry. This will help get a nice golden crisp skin if your going with higher temps.
As for brisket my best advice is read a lot in the forums here. There are as many methods to cook them as there are people cooking them on this forum. I think L&S is the way to start with your first brisket just make sure you have lots of time and lots of beer when you do the first one. A packer would be cheaper/lb to buy if you can get them in your area. Oh and if the first one doesn't work out,they can be tricky, it will usually make great chili,nachos or burritos. Somehow I've been lucky with brisket and never had a total fail. Usually get at least an +B or A but still striving for that +A.

Back