ROLLED RIBS!

Gary Reynolds

Hello,im smoking some ribs this weekend,just wondering if it's best to roll the ribs or to cut in half and use a rib rack. seems to me it would be easier to cut the ribs up after the smoke if they are flat, or will the rolled ribs lay flat after they are done? and is there any difference in the finished product.

I've always cut them in half and used a rib rack, since I've never tried to cook more than 3 at one time. You could easily do 6, with one rib rack on each level. Rolling them, though, would let you cook more.

(This is a harder question to answer than it first appears; I got confused between racks of ribs, rib racks you put them in to cook, and the cooking racks you set the rib racks on, with racks of ribs inside, to cook. Almost racked my brain looking for an answer.)
icon_biggrin.gif

Gary,

They will lay flat or at least mine do. I have rolled 6 fulls before 3 on top and 3 on bottom and thye will lay flat to slice easily. With that said most of the time I do cut in half and use the ribs racks if I am only cooking 2 or 3 slabs. 4 or more and they are rolled on a skewer. Either way is fine it's just a persoanl preference thing.

Randy

Thanks for the help,i think i will roll them ,my brother and 4 friends are coming over sunday for the daytona 500,so i will be smoking 6 full racks. another ? how much chacoal should i use for a 4-6 hr smoke? and MM or standard?

Gary,

I roll ribs frequently and as others have said, they will lay out fine when you de-skewer them.

I always MM cook. It's much easier to control.

I have a chance to go to the 500 on sunday, but the tickets are on the superstretch (really hard to get out of lots) and the weather is only in the low 60's (cold for us).

So, I guess I'll be watching on tv as well.

Craig, always wanted to see the 500.60's sound so good right now it's 15 degrees here and we just got 8" of snow but not going to stop me from breakin out the WSM. GO DALE JR!!

Gary--I always use the MM. For ribs I use a full chimney of charcoal. I bank the unlit up to the top of the sides of the charcoal ring in the WSM, covering the center of the bottom with a layer one coal thick and increase the thickness toward the sides, forming more or less a bowl, into which I pour the lit coals from the chimney. I've found that if I do not let the coals in the chimney get red hot or ashed over all the way to the top of the chimney before dumping, my temps are much easier to control. Just my honest opinion.

I also use Charbroil Potato/Rib racks (one top and one bottom) and cut the slabs in half, enabling me to do seven slabs at a time.

Tom, do you stack the coals in an orderly fashion ? like one on top the other, or just throw them in? and make your bowl shape. this sounds like a good way to make MM even more fuel friendly. i think i'll try it this weekend.

I'm not really particular about the number of coals,etc.--"about" has worked for me--while I do appreciate the time and trouble that lots of folks put into trying to make this a science(and I have learned heaps from them here), a few coals more or less isn't going to make a lot of difference. Using your own judgement just make a "bowl" starting with one layer in the bottom and taper up to the top of the ring,then pour your lit coals into the center.

You won't go wrong erring with too few coals--you can always add more--and you will quickly learn through trial and error the best way to set your WSM up.

Let me know how it turns out.

I have tried rib racks and have been disappointed. Bacause of the I roll and shewer mine with good results. When they are about halfway done I just flip them over w/ tongs. I also agree it is easier to work up to a temp than have one too high.

Gary,

I use rib racks and wrap the ribs around the end of each slot in the rack. So, each slot will have 2/3 of one slab and 1/3 of another. This avoids having more exposed ends and it's easier than rolling (IMHO) to deal with the finished ribs - they'll lay flatter easier.

I hope that makes sense.

Tom

I've rolled my back ribs once, when I tried laying them down they tore apart inbetween a few of the bones...does this mean they where over or undercooked?

My pet peeve of the WSM, not being able to simply lay down atleast 4 full racks of ribs.

Back