roast

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
wanna try qing some kind of roast like a english cut or chuck. Something around 3-4 pounds. Will this work? I would cook like a brisket. Figuring around 6-7 hours low and slow. Will it slice like brisket or pull like pork for sammies. would i use wood or straight lump or K. Read through forums on this but threads conflicted with each other. Any help is as always greatly appreciated. Thanks

Corey, I've smoked chucks a few times. Actually, I don't recommend smoking like a traditional brisket. I prefer to cook 'em hotter, 275 or even hotter, and wrap in foil after reaching 160 internally. I found them to be a little dry when not wrapping in foil and cooking truly low and slow. When tender, I prefer to chop for bbq beef sandwiches, but I've never tried to slice, to be honest. Search Kevin Kruger for his technique and as what he puts in the foil with his roast. I'd just put some worster, stock, beer, acv, etc., concoction of some sort in the foil, but I'm sure he has a great recipe, as he is actually a cook! If you like jalapenos, you could try adapting one of the jalapeno brisket recipes out there that calls for pickled or fresh jalapenos in the foil. Good luck with it!

when you foil at 160 do you put it back in the cooker to reach 200 or so or do you pull it to let it rest... thanks

If you foil a chuck roast at 160 put it back on the smoker until it is probe tender if you want to pull it. If you want to slice it just rest it for half an hour and you're good to go.

Clark

If the roast is going to be sliced, why not cook it hotter and pull it at a much lower temp, like 125*, let it rest and then slice it so you can get some red in there?

Clearly I'm missing something here so please advise.

You won't have given it any time to let the fat render and so forth so you will end up with a fairly tough roast. Chuck can be excellent if you just give it it's time!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
You won't have given it any time to let the fat render and so forth so you will end up with a fairly tough roast. Chuck can be excellent if you just give it it's time!

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank Clark. I knew I was missing something.

Corey,

Is it pullable or not depends on the cut and the amount of time you cook it. On a brisket; the point pulls easier than the flat. You can pull a chuck roast very easily. I did a chuck this weekend. About a 4 pounder, rubbed with s & p, dried thyme, dried oregano, garlic powder. Smoked it with oak @ 325 for about 2 hours before foiling in an aluminum pan. I then put the chuck in the foil pan with one yellow onion (sliced) and about 1/4 cup of Italian dressing and few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat, wrapped it tightly with foil and cooked it for another 2 hours. I started checking it for tenderness after 3 hours as I wanted it very well done so that it could be pulled. 4 hours did it. The onion had caramelized completely and there was a good amount of juice in the pan (which is why I like the pan method in this case). I poured out the juice/onion mixture into a bowl to let the grease separate. I pulled the chuck and added the degreased juice back into it. The beef was intended for sammies. I sliced and lightly grilled bolillos (small rolls). Topped the sammies with a relish of fresh diced tomato, fresh diced onion, chopped sweet banana pepper tossed with a little Italian dressing. The acidity of the relish complimented the smoky beef very well.

Paul

Back