Roadside Chicken

Rick--

You can do it with halved chicken or individual pieces; split breasts alone would be fine.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this.

Hi, I am going to make this chicken tomorrow (Saturday) and I'm really looking forward to it. It sounds delicious. (I keep calling it Roadkill Chicken for some inexplicable reason.) I'll be frying up some new potatoes, and serving lots of tomatoes and basil, and sweet corn.

Anyway, I'm wondering what and where are the roadside chicken stands to which you refer.

For us uneducated northerners ( Canadians )-what is roadside chicken? never heard the phrase before but the recipe sure sounds good and I want to try it.

thx
darrin

Originally posted by darrin:...what is roadside chicken?
I understand the expression to reference vendors who in certain areas of the country, not so much around this area, set up along the roadside and grill this type of chicken for sale to the traveling public. Given what we know to be the dangers of improperly handled or cooked chicken, I would honestly be reluctant to make such a purchase.

Paul

Anybody have any pics of how the chicken looked when finished on the Grill? Also how long to cook in the WSM, with or without water in the pan? Thaks

Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
Anybody have any pics of how the chicken looked when finished on the Grill? Also how long to cook in the WSM, with or without water in the pan? Thaks
I've only done it on the grill.
pict04950yd.jpg

A huge thanks to Bryan for posting this awsome recipie.
Bryan,
Tonight I made the chicken for the second time. I made 2 whole fryers and 2 quarters. For my wifes Grandmother who is 80+ yrs old and during dinner she looked to me and said "Rick this is the best chicken I have ever tasted".
I dont think any competition I ever win will mean more to me than that comment. Think about all the chicken she has eaten in her 80 yrs.

I tried this yesterday and it was some of the best chicken I've ever had. The smell of it cooking reminded me of salmon being grilled at the Puyallup Fair! I've been lurking here for quite awhile, but this chicken was so good, I just had to say so. Thanks for the great recipe.
Steve
Proud owner of-
1 WSM
2- 22 1/2 inch Kettles (just bought a new One Touch Gold)
1 Genesis silver B

Steve, 2 posts in 15 months??
icon_razz.gif
Good to see you here.

Here are a couple pics of a slightly modified version. Didn't cook direct as I always profess but was slightly indirect and at an inch or so higher than you see on an 18 or 22 inch Weber kettle. Skin wasn't that crispy but very edible!
10.gif

Hey Bill, I'm here just about every other day. I just don't know enough about BBQ to offer anyone any sound advice. I just suck up all the knowledge that everyone put's out in this forum. And I'm glad that you guy's and Gals do.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've tried this twice now, very tasty. One question about the marinade. How long can I keep on on the shelf? From the ingredients it doesn't look like it need refridgeration.

You're right, it doesn't. However, if you have the space in the fridge I'd lean that way simply because of the oil content. The oil can rancidify irrespective of the acidity of the mix though if use is not far off there's no problem keeping it in the pantry.

Alternatively, make the mix without the oil adding it for use. That way shelf storage is practically indefinite.

Welcome to the board.

I tried this out last night. Smoke billowing out from the backyard, my wife gets home and states "Now that's what BBQ is supposed to smell like" (not a big fan of smoking is she). Says it reminds her of fairs.

Like others have said, not real crispy (wait 'til next time...) but real tasty. Very nice, this will become a common occurrence.

Now, does anybody have a recipe for Church Chicken? Vinegar, butter, spices?

Hey jbaker -

That is such a great picture, I just tried to wave away the smoke from my screen so I could see well enough to reply.....

So here's my question: What do you mean by church chicken? Are you referring to Church's chicken, the chain? Or is there some kind of chicken that people eat at potlucks, etc. that is a well known thing among those who know, if you know what I mean.

You mention vinegar, butter, spices. Sounds good. I hope someone replies.

Originally posted by Jan N.: So here's my question: What do you mean by church chicken? Are you referring to Church's chicken, the chain? Or is there some kind of chicken that people eat at potlucks, etc. that is a well known thing among those who know, if you know what I mean.

You mention vinegar, butter, spices. Sounds good. I hope someone replies.

I guess it's a common name for chicken served at large bbq gatherings, the type where the fire is built right on the ground, mesh grates over. Half chickens go on and get mopped with a vinegar/butter/spice bath, flipped often. Something I've only heard about.....

Edit here:::

I found this on another bbq site, seems like it follows the idea (with the idea being as simple as possible)

1 cup butter
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

They talked about using a sprayer rather than a mop. I imagine either would work.......

Edit again:

This is similar, and seems to be rather famous in the NY State area?

Cornell Chicken
http://tinyurl.com/l7xlm

I tried the Roadside Chicken this weekend. It was fantastic! Just a few observations:

1) I didn't have enough white vinegar, so I used 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 apple cider vinegar. I was concerned about whether it would be too strong, but it was not. I'll probably try it with all white to see if there's a difference, but the apple was great.

2) I marinated it overnight - about 12 hours. Again, I thought it might be overpowering but it was not. I'll definitely repeat this.

3) I used chicken halves. I won't do that again. Because this is cooked over direct heat it requires constant moving, and the halves are just too unwieldy.

4) As for direct v. indirect, I cooked it direct until the skin was nice and crisp (okay, charred) then moved it away from the coals and cooked it indirectly and closed the lid. The skin was pretty well charred as it was, and I can't imagine how to cook it direct for the entire cooking time - though I think I used too many coals (an entire chimney of lump). Perhaps more like 1/2 or 2/3 a chimney would produce a more appropriate amount of heat and allow me to cook it directly.

Thanks for the great recipe!

I made a large batch of Roadside Chicken this weekend. I had read about the recipe a while ago, and was waiting for the right opportunity to try it; .99/lb chicken breasts provided that opportunity
icon_biggrin.gif
. Marinated them for about 8 hours and they came out great. My wife, who is still not a big fan of the smoke flavor, said it was some of the best chicken she's had! Its great how sometimes the simple things (recipe) turn out so well. Thanks for recipe!

Paul

Back