Ribs on but Maverick broken.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
My ET-732 broke today as I put on 3 racks of baby backs and it will not register. The wires in the grill probe pulled out of the probe itself so there is no saving (or using) it today.

Should I go by what the thermometer says in my 22.5, or should I put my new thermapen probe through one of the holes on top to check the temps?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

The meat probe can be used in the "smoker" input...I doubt you have it in the ribs but if you do, you don't need to IMO.

Cook them till they are done. No thermometer is needed. +/- 50 degrees or so in the pit temperature will not make a big difference.

Know what? Don't I feel stupid.
icon_biggrin.gif

Good idea. I'm not using the meat probe in the ribs, so I'll use it on the grill.

If you need me, I'll be reading BBQ 101 in the corner.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Haha. No worries.

I did ribs yesterday and I had the "smoker" probe in the "meat" input to monitor pit temps. That way I could use the timer function on the ET-732. When using the timer function only the meat temp (and timer) shows on the screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cook them till they are done. No thermometer is needed. +/- 50 degrees or so in the pit temperature will not make a big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. Usually the Weber dome thermometer runs a little hot compared to the grate temp (+ 25-40 F for mine). Completely accurate temp is not so crucial here.

On ribs, we're talking about 5-6 hours total, right?

I put them on at noon. At 3pm I plan to pull them and foil for another hour with some apple juice then back on for another 1-2 hours.

Sound about right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Bryson:
On ribs, we're talking about 5-6 hours total, right?

I put them on at noon. At 3pm I plan to pull them and foil for another hour with some apple juice then back on for another 1-2 hours.

Sound about right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's about right. Of course, it all depends on your cooking temperature. I'd do a spot check after two hours to see how far along you are, as I've had ribs done in as few as 3.5-4 hours (I was cooking with fairly high heat at the time).

My 18.5 dome therm reads opposite to yours<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cook them till they are done. No thermometer is needed. +/- 50 degrees or so in the pit temperature will not make a big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. Usually the Weber dome thermometer runs a little hot compared to the grate temp (+ 25-40 F for mine). Completely accurate temp is not so crucial here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cook them at the temp that you normally do and when you can stick a wooden toothpick into the meat of the rib, and it feels like it is going into a block of butter, then they are done, and tender.

Some times I think we all get a little to carried away with all of our little gadgets we have to help us cook. Think we'd get to know our cookers and our cooking methods and wouldn't have to depend on them so much. Going to have to do a cook one of these days not using any probes or thermometers, just my experience, and see if there's any real difference to the finished product.

Back