Ribs cooking too fast

While I was cooking a pork butt this weekend (on the bottom rack) I put a rack of ribs on the top rack. I cooked for 3 hours at 250 degrees and then foiled them for an hour. After taking them out of the foil, I couldn't hardly pick them up without the bones practically falling out of them. So, I just took them out. So, I had bones-falling-off-the-meat ribs which had a mushy bark (which still tasted better than the ribs at the bbq joints around here)

I think next time I'll get two racks and try them separate ways. One I'll just leave on with no foil. The other I'll cook for 2.5 hours, foil for half an hour and then unfoil the rest of the time, however long that is. Just trying to find the best way to make them.

You have to really watch when you foil, they get get overdone in a hurry! Your right, next time only foil for a half hour and see how they come out. If they are still in one peice when they come out, put them back on the fire for a bit!
icon_cool.gif

Personally, I'd cook them for 2-2.5hrs, foil for a half hr, and then put them back on the smoker for another 45min-1hr not foiled.

I usually don't bother with foiling, I just throw them on and pull them off when they're tender.

I'm with Brian....if I feel motivated I foil for ~30 min after 2.5 hours or so then 30-60 minutes more...still has a bit of bite and nice bark.

Well, I had read about the 3-2-1 method (I think that's what it was), but if I cooked for three hours, then foiled for two, I'd have to pour my ribs out of the foil.

This 3-2-1 is what I usually make for ribs. They always turn out good, not too mushy, just right for the way that I like them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric W:
I usually don't bother with foiling, I just throw them on and pull them off when they're tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here. I only ever foiled ribs once over the years. When I do BB's, they take right around 5 hrs. at a 235º-250º grate temp, and no foil.

I don't see how someone can foil for two hours and it work out. I'm not saying it can't because some of you say it works. I just know that after one hour of foiling, my bones are falling off the meat.

Typically I don't foil (BB, Full spares, or St. Louis). I have foiled though a few times, never more than 30 minutes. Then back on without it.

I'm usually cooking ribs at 250 or so (plus or minus 25 deg).

IMHO it's very easy to leave them in the foil too long. But then I like them with just a little pull and not fall of the bone style.

Back