Ribs and butt

Jake Melon

I have two racks of baby back ribs and 8.3 lbs butt. I'd like to smoke them both and have them ready by 4-5pm.

Any thoughts on timing? I'm thinking the butt goes in first (bottom rack) around 6am and maybe around 11am the ribs are added to the top rack.

Should I keep the temps a bit under 225 or closer to 250?

thanks!

Funny you post this topic because I plan on doing the same cook on Sunday. Your timing sounds good to me... If the butt gets done you can always foil it and put it in a cooler until the ribs are done!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Are you cooking with water in the pan? empty water pan? This makes a difference in the temperature of the bottom grate. Lower with water, higher empty. It also depends on how your measuring temperature.

Check out cooking times from here - PorkButt Starting at 6am and finishing it by 4pm is optimistic. A higher than 250 temp or an earlier start is what I recommend.

Also take a look here - High Heat Butt discussion

I plan on doing it with water and measure temp with instant thermometer.

How about the ribs? maybe we can shift dinner to 6pm and put the ribs in a bit later...

thanks

I just read the pork butt article and I may end up cutting away the thick layer of fat which should reduce the weight by at least a pound if not more. So it will be down to maybe 7 lbs vs 8.3 lbs...

hopefully that would help the timing from 6am to lets say 5pm.

thanks
jake

I am in no means a professional so take what I say with a grain of salt... Everytime I cook pork butts I leave the fat cap on and cook the butt fat down. It helps to keep the meat from burning. Like everything else, everyone cooks different so hopefully they will chime in with advice!

Both the butt and the ribs came out AWESOME!

This was the 3rd time I smoked, the first 3 tries were so-so but this one was by far best.

1. I started the 8.3lbs butt on the lower grate at 6am (minion method). I did not remove the fat, and placed the meat fat side up. Prior to that I applied a rub to the meat 48 hours earlier. I also used a full pan of water.

2. Added two racks of baby back ribs at 11:00am to the top rack (they were also rubbed 48 earlier). By now the water pan was about half-empty so I added another 1/2 gallon of hot water.

3. At 5pm the ribs were done to perfection (unlike my first attempt where they came out overdone and dry)

4. at 8pm the butt came off, so I stuck with the 14 hr recommendation and it worked great. The meat was falling apart which was my goal.

5. I kept the temps between 200 and 225 but at one point I had to leave the smoker unattended and the temp went to 250 for a bit (maybe an hour)

6. Internal temp of the butt at the end was 190 and I let it sit for 2 hours afterwards

thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

Back