Rib question ? flip or not to flip?

mike sr

if not using a rib rack , does anyone flip their ribs from meat side up to bone side up for a time during the cook? just wonderin

If i'm foiling my ribs I leave them bone side down when they are out of the foil and flip them to meat side down in the foil. If i'm not using foil I leave them bone side down the entire time.

I don't flip. I don't think you need to when smoking ribs. :wsm:

You can try both and let us know if there's a difference.

I've always used a rib rack on both the OTG and the WSM and Mini-Joe so I find myself flipping once during the cook to equalize cooking. It has worked for me.

If I were not using a rib rack(s) I doubt that I would flip when smoking in the WSM or Mini-Joe as they both seem to cook equally well on both sides. However, if I were doing ribs without a rack on the OTG I believe I WOULD flip as when I am doing chicken indirect, there is a definite difference in cooking between top and bottom of the food. The same would apply to the ribs.

However, the answer is simple - if you see a difference in cooking between top and bottom, then you need to flip. If you do not, you do not need to flip.

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

I flip when I'm grilling ribs.

If I'm using my WSM or UDS I don't flip. I don't even open either one up to look until around the 3 hour mark.

If i'm foiling my ribs I leave them bone side down when they are out of the foil and flip them to meat side down in the foil. If i'm not using foil I leave them bone side down the entire time.

This is the way I cook mine as well.

Nope, don't flip. Anymore.

When I got my first grill, five years ago, I decided to try grilling a rack of ribs. Left 'em on way too long and did a flip, too, and burnt the heck out of 'em.

The first question is why? Why flip ribs? My guess is that to sure that the ribs get cooked evenly. When grilling, there could be some hot spots, flipping gives you a better chance of even cooking.

In a WSM, it's like an oven, even temperature throughout, so no flipping needed. I usually only cook on the top grate and there really isn't any hotspots. When cooking on the bottom grate, some of the outsides could get a little bit higher heat and rotating away from the edges might be called for.

If you're using foil, place the bones up, the reason is simple, they are sharp, and they might puncture the foil. The lovely juices runs out, which you could add to let's say to the beans are gone. Otherwise, it is a oven with the same temps at the top as well as the bottom, and there is no need to flip.

Back