Rib Off

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with our comp rib recipe. In the 5 contests we've tried it in, we've placed as high as 3rd, but the average placing is around the 25th percentile, and the average taste score is 7.6 (not dropping low judges). We consistently average 8.0 in texture, and appearance varies. So I know we can do better.

I've completely overhauled our rub and sauce combo and believe it has some real potential. The hard part is convincing myself and the team that we should ditch the progress we were making with the old recipe.

This is the second time this summer we did a direct comparison and its a tough decision. Tonight it was pretty much unanimous that the old recipe was better. However, I think omitting msg from the new recipe was a big mistake because it lacked the pop that the old recipe had. I'm thinking I can incorporate a few of the things we liked from the old recipe into the new one, and hopefully gain some ground.

I broke down and bought a stoke from Auber instruments so we have some insurance during the comp nights. The price was right, and I think I'm going to really like it when we are all tucked into the tent and can rest easy knowing the PID's on smoker watch.

IMG_5162.JPG

here's the finished ribs (new is bottom rack):

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

(new is right)

What did I learn? Its interesting how similar two very different rubs can taste after 5 hours of cooking. I lost my mark on the one rack and I was hard pressed to tell them apart. MSG tastes like chicken in rubs, and might make you not want to use it on pork, but it certainly brings out the pork and smoke flavors. Sweet masks a lot of the flavor and despite what anybody says,needs to be moderated.

I'm not a comp cooker or judge, but both look amazing to me! What kind of controller do you use? That one does not look familiar.

What kind of controller do you use? That one does not look familiar.

sorry, I was going to provide the link but got lazy.

Auber Instruments Smoker Controller

I don't know much about it as I requested info about it here in the Auto Temp Controller section and only heard crickets.

I did find some people on another board who bought just the PID and hooked it up to a guru blower and said it ran like a champ.

I figured the company looked legit and knew them from sous vide applications. And like I said the price was right, as it was cheaper than the guru nano. This one has a dig display (unlike the nano), has high and low alarms, and comes stock with a 6 cfm fan (nano has 4 cfm).

I see. I am an electrician by trade and love automation. I did write a PLC and touch screen program, but the stoker is cheaper than I could build mine for. I have been looking at PIC temperature controllers as well. I have found them on ebay for around $35.

I can't do anything here except offer moral support. Those are unbelievable looking ribs. I do believe that the new batch looks a tad more appealing. Wishing you all the best Jeff! Let us know how future comps work out for you.
Go Nickel City Smokers!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

J ur ribs look very nice, but the problem i have with comps is the judges do not know what they are judging, it suppose to be a meat comp not a rub or sauce comp, judges are scoring on rub and sauce taste they leave the meat taste out, in all honesty they should allow salt and pepper only, and as for being allowed to use instruments thats a joke rite, cook with what mother nature throws at u that day same playing field for all cooks

J. The only difference I see in the pictures is that the glaze on the new recipe is smoother and more shiny. Can't figure out how to TASTE the difference from here. I am sure the judges will let you know. The controller looks good, If I was confident of an electrical source all the time I might lean that way.

Mark

Wow,the price on that controler was $75 last month when you posted it. Up 45+%. I should have grabbed one then.
icon_frown.gif
The demand for them must be going up.

Thanks everybody.

The controller looks good, If I was confident of an electrical source all the time I might lean that way.

yeah, I thought of that. If we lose power then we are totally done. I guess I'll run a maverick as added insurance, however its low alarm max is 187* which is too low.

I'm no pro and don't mean to offend, but MSG?

I realize there's a negative stereotype to using MSG, however its a naturally occurring compound. I might as well stop using salt, if I'm going to label it as bad.

I get that its a short cut and cooks should be looking to make the best bbq they can via classic technique, but its the nature of the game now.

Take for instance my little rib off, everyone voted for the old recipe that had MSG, told me why they liked it, and all their arguments screamed MSG. I told then the secret and they still tried to convince me that the old recipe was simply better. Take that to a comp, the recipe without the MSG will not stand up to those with it. Not only does MSG make something taste better, it makes everything else taste flat, which may be an argument for limiting its use, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Wow,the price on that controler was $75 last month when you posted it. Up 45+%. I should have grabbed one then. Frowner The demand for them must be going up.

keep in mind that they originally sold just the controller for $80. It seems that the package with the 6 cfm fan for $137 might be a recent addition. When I was reading about it on another forum, I was a bit confused because they were all talking about the $80 controller and getting guru blowers for it, but the link the posted went to the kit. so I suspect they recently changed things up.

Can that controller be monitored from inside your house or is it basically just at the unit. The price is very nice!

They are strictly at the unit and only control pit temperature. there are no meat sensors and you can't expand for multiple pits.

keep in mind that they originally sold just the controller for $80. It seems that the package with the 6 cfm fan for $137 might be a recent addition. When I was reading about it on another forum, I was a bit confused because they were all talking about the $80 controller and getting guru blowers for it, but the link the posted went to the kit. so I suspect they recently changed things up.
That makes total sense now. Thanks for the calcification J.

jb,

I'm apparently the only one saying anything, and maybe it's the photos...but there is something on those ribs that looks kind of like they got caught in a sandstorm. Kind of a grainy look? If your appearance scores are good, it's likely just the photo I guess. The new recipe seems less grainy looking than the old.

****, our ribs did ok last year but have been doing awful this year, so I likely shouldn't talk.

I'm apparently the only one saying anything, and maybe it's the photos...but there is something on those ribs that looks kind of like they got caught in a sandstorm. Kind of a grainy look? If your appearance scores are good, it's likely just the photo I guess. The new recipe seems less grainy looking than the old

It was a result of the natural light that was coming in from a window (I try to avoid shooting with a flash). The light was coming from the side, creating shadows and highlights, really bringing out the texture of the bark. Normally, in picasa, I'll use the sharpen tool on my food photos, and I couldn't even do that to these, it made them look really weird.

Can that controller be monitored from inside your house or is it basically just at the unit. The price is very nice!

like tony states, its pretty basic. I think its got more features than the guru nano though. I haven't figure out if it knows when the lids off, like the nano.

I've only been in one comp ever. One judge thought my ribs were the best s/he ever tasted, and another thought they were awful. One said the meat was perfectly tender, and another that it was too soft. Go figger.

Back