Rib Advice please!!

CGariepy

TVWBB Fan
I've done ribs on my WSM 3 times. The first two were pretty good, the second the best and the last was mediocre at best.

first time and second time I had baby backs and rubbed them with Rendezvous rub from Memphis and some other goodies.

third time I had st Louis style (store was out of BB) and they were sorta tough.

here is what I do:

I usually smoke them around 5 hrs or a bit longer, but right around there. I love dry rub ribs, no sauce, and a the rest of the fam loves them to be tender and fall off the bone....

Dry rub - I put mustard on then apply rub, let is sit for an hour then put on the smoker. I let it sit for an hour and a half, then start basting every 30 mins with wickers marinate and bourbon. take off after 5 hrs or so and cut each rib apart then eat. first two times great, third tough and not that good.

Tender ribs with sauce - same start, then after about 3 hrs, I wrap in foil put brown sugar, honey, apple juice, in the foil and put meat side down for about 2 hrs. Then I take out of the foil and for the last hr or so put back on the smoker with sauce......first two times great, third sucked.

can the type of rib matter?? do you see any problems with my method? I try to keep it 225-250 ish.

thanks soooo much....BBQ Gurus......

chris

At 215-220F my backs are done in under 4; sides in no much more. I do mine dry as well and don't baste with anything till they are done. Never had a problem. Absolutley the type and quality of rib will make a diff.

I see no obvious flaws to your methods. 225 is a little low In my experience and I think the fat renders a bit better between 250-275. However, your temp is not likely to yield extremely poor results. From what you wrote I'm wondering if it was just a bad piece of meat? St. Louis is just a trimmed spare rib which I prefer to buy and trim myself or not at all. You are off to a good start!

I just did some St Louis style last weekend and they came out great. I don't go by time, and leave them dry as well. I tossed a little oil on and then my rub, let that sit while the chimney's started and then the WSM gets up to temp (did these right around 250). Toss on and leave. After about 3 hours I tossed on some brats (nothing beats a smoked brat) and took a peek at the ribs. After about 4 hours I start checking the ribs using the bend test. Just pick up one end of the rack in some tongs and when the surface beings to crack they're done. For those guests of mine that like sauce I'll sauce and toss on the grill for a couple minutes on each side to caramelize, remove and serve. No basting required and have always had pretty good ribs.

If I've learned anything in the last couple of years since I got my WSM , it is that no 2 pieces of meat will take the exact same time to get tender and done. IMO. , this is especially true of ribs. The rack that takes 5 hours one time will take 6 on another ..or it could surprise you and be ready in 4.5 ! I use every test available to me to judge rib done ness ....toothpick , temp , bend test ....whatever I can think of. They still don't always come out dead solid perfect , but I do get a lot of compliments on my ribs.

Chris, the more experience that you get with ribs, you can see what works for you and what doesn't.
Ribs, like a lot of BBQ are done when their done, with lots of variables that cause the time in the smoker
to vary. The bend test seems to work best for me. Just keep practicing and eatin those tasty ribs.

The bend test can work, I use the toothpick which is always next to my WSM. Each piece is different including racks of ribs in the same cryopack. Time is a general guideline at most. Also I like to be around 275 for my ribs, they come out better for me. That is 275 at the grate not the dome temp which can be 25-40 degree difference

I usually make SLC or full spares. I rinse them off, trim any hanging meat or extra fat and pull the membrane, and then season them with my rub. I fire up my WSM and shoot for 275*. If I put the ribs on at noon, I don't touch them again until 2 pm when I take the rack off, wrap it in foil (nothing else), and put it back on. At 3 pm, I remove them, unwrap, and put them back on. Around 3:30 pm, I check for doneness via the bend test. Pick up the end of the rack with tongs, they are done when they bend almost 90* and the meat across the top cracks or pulls apart a little. I don't sauce as a preference, but have sauce available on the side.

I agree, that no two racks may cook the same, so I check each rack before I pull it off. Sometimes they are all done together, sometimes 10 to 30 mins difference.

Bendy ribs from Amazing Ribs:

bend_test.jpg

wow, what great advice.....I've learned a lot on this site and it continues....

I am heading to my parents with my WSM this weekend and hope to give it another round of ribs.......... Now I've used the minion method to start the coals and maybe about 15 chunks in the charcoal starter and then dump them in the middle... Most of the time my bottom vents are closed and it stays abt 250 ish...Does it sound reasonable if I open the bottom vents a tad it will go to 275ish and hold? I could also start some additional charcoal too....

Thanks a bunch....chris

Leave it at 250. I assum eyou are using water in the pan?

Tom, I am not using the water pan.....I did a ton of reading on this and decided to go without it. I have simply foiled the water pan and not put anything in it..... Would anyone recommend different strategy?

thanks for sooo much help......2 days to more ribs.

chris

I found the water in the pan makes it easier to change temps with less fluctuation. But if you can keep it at 225-250... whatever works.

Thanks, it seems to be in that range....I'll try again and if I continue to have lackluster ribs, I'll try it with water or a clay saucer..

chris

I tried this recipe http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html first go around in my 14.5 WSM, following the recipe to the letter, and the ribs were fantastic, next time I made them, I had to extend the cooking time to get the right tear. Third time, same deal as the second (add more time)

That's the problem with following recipes that call for certain amounts of time, if they aren't done, they aren't done, even if the recipe says it *should* be done in X number of hours. Hope this helps!

Back