Results of my Lava Rock w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to put my temperature log followed by the pictures here.
icon_smile.gif
It turned out awesome...I hope you can see the pictures.

Don't give me crap for pulling in a plastic dish! I've had to many people over this week to have a good metal/aluminum one clean!
icon_wink.gif

12:20 Lid=200 Meat=44
1:20 Lid=249 Meat=68
2:20 Lid=260 Meat=102
3:20 Lid=260* Meat=129
4:20 Lid=270* Meat=140
5:20 Lid=260* Meat=159
6:20 Lid=270* Meat=167
7:20 Lid=260* Meat=172
8:20 Lid=260* Meat=177
9:20 Lid=250** Meat=181
10:20 Lid=270** Meat=190

*=All bottom vents closed
**=One bottom vent fully open

(after looking at the pictures, the butt looks small!...it's a regular 7.75 lb roast though. I have HUGE dishes!
icon_smile.gif
)

Here's the Link If you'd like to see the butt. Take care all!

Brian:

Great job and nice pics. Based on your log, looks like temps were stable tho perhaps a bit high. How many briquettes did you start with? Bottom vent...should have closed last one down a bit (IMHO).

OUTSTANDING!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
Brian:

Great job and nice pics. Based on your log, looks like temps were stable tho perhaps a bit high. How many briquettes did you start with? Bottom vent...should have closed last one down a bit (IMHO).

OUTSTANDING!
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith,

Thanks. It turned out pretty dang good if I do say so myself...it was a real fast cook though. I used the MM for briquettes. The only reason I opened the one vent at the end was because I had a few beers in me and figured I MUST be choking the fire. Luckily I didn't hurt anything by doing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
Brian:

OUTSTANDING!
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith, I'd forgotten to mention that my WSM tends to run in that same temperature range with the pan filled with water. I didn't notice much difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
...The only reason I opened the one vent at the end was because I had a few beers in me and figured I MUST be choking the fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian:

I can't imagine that happening to anyone else
icon_wink.gif
but the overall higher temps would have shortened your cook a little. Though, per one of the Gurus, Jim Minion. I printed his quote and it is inside each BBQ book I have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
...The only reason I opened the one vent at the end was because I had a few beers in me and figured I MUST be choking the fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian:

I can't imagine that happening to anyone else
icon_wink.gif
but the overall higher temps would have shortened your cook a little. Though, per one of the Gurus, http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=98110183&f=1780069052&m=8430040152&r=9430040152#9430040152. I printed his quote and it is inside each BBQ book I have. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, well...I don't know if it's worth the trouble. Cleanup was a cinch though.
icon_smile.gif
I'll leave it this way until I screw something up I guess. Water is such a pain!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
What is with the Lava Rocks??
icon_confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg,

It started with a different thread. It's something I've thought of for quite a while. Here's the link to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back