Replicating Big Bob Gibson's chicken on a WSM?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I was watching a Food Network countdown of the top 5 BBQ places, and Big Bob Gibson's was on the list specifically for their chicken. I gotta say, it looked amazing, and I bet it tastes great as well, so I'm planning to give it shot sometime soon. I'm especially intrigued by the white sauce, and the recipe for that is out there on the interwebs as well. I was going to buy some, but shipping is outrageous, and a single bottle is over $11 on Amazon, so I'll make it myself.

Now, in terms of cooking, on the show, they mentioned that BBG uses hickory (which I have a bunch of) and cooks them skin-side-up for 2 hours, then flips them over for another 2, but they never say the temp. I figure cooking that long, it must be low or else those birds would dry out like crazy. So, I was planning to cook at 225 and be prepared to throw them a hot direct flame for a few minutes to crisp the skin a bit.

Has anyone tried to replicate this particular recipe/preparation? If so, any advice?

I kind of did yesterday. I have my own version of the sauce which I recommend making in advance so the ingredients come together. You can find Chris Lilly's recipe on the net. I find it hard to believe they smoke them that long. I've heard they run a hot temp. The dipping the chicken in fat was nice. I just sprayed mine with cooking spray.

I find chicken picks up enough smoke in a short cook anyway. I just put a good amount of Kosher salt and coarse black pepper and rubbed it down a few hours ahead of time. It was plenty juicy as chicken halves. Not sure why people feel the need to inject. I don't even brine unless I'm doing only split breasts.

Well, that recipe deviates a fair amount from what was shown on the television show. The chicken halves are salted and cooked skin-side up for half the total time. It's then dipped in rendered chicken fat and returned to the grill skin-side down, the bone side is sprinkled heavily with cracked black pepper, and then cooked for the remaining half of the time. Then dipped in the white sauce.

The recipe is simple as it gets. I normally don't put horseradish in mine because I don't use it often and find red pepper flakes tastes good in it as well. I try to make it a day ahead like I would a North Carolina sauce.

Back