Replacing welded handle w/ one that bolts on

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
When using my Kettle Pizza attachment, I managed to melt the plastic handle of my 22" kettle. I've since melted a bit more using the lid of my 22 to help snuff out the fire from my firepit. I knew I'd seen newer/nicer kettles w/ a heat shield that I thought would be a nice addition to my kettle. Anybody done similar? Do you recommend just drilling the welds out? The new handle comes with nuts to fasten to the bolt portion sticking through. The Weber part # is 80672 for the handle w/ heat shield in case what I'm describing doesn't make sense.

I have the Taco shell heat diffuser on my new Performer and it defiantly helps on keeping the handle cooler.
I have a Vortex and on my old performer the handle would get rip roaring hot.
Oh and the brackets are longer which places the handle a bit higher off the lid.

I now use a pan or cast iron griddle to act as a heat sink ...but also to channel the heat out the top of the KP opening and haven't had anymore melting-handle issues when using the KP. It also browns the tops better, particularly when "doming".

Is the consensus just to drill out the weld?

My 14 wsm handle came unwelded a while back so I drilled a hole and ran a screw through it. I'd imagine you could do the same to attach a heat guard.

There's a YT video of a guy grinding the existing handle off, leaving the tabs that are welded, and drilling thru that. I don't hate that idea. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yea, there are two spot weld per side so four total.
Drilling those out to make it work seems like a hassle.

Back