Replacement legs question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig H

TVWBB Super Fan
I have pondered replacing the leg kit on my 18.5 redhead (it's from 1968 and has the leg screws). I just would like to know if the modern legs will be compatible with the older screw style leg sockets? I would even re-use the leg screws on the new ones if needed or applicable.

I compared the legs on a old thumbscrew 22 and a set of new legs and they were almost identical. I'm sure plenty of guys here will tell you to keep it all original. I personally feel like you need to figure out what your gonna do with the grill. If your gonna put it into action and use it all the time, then maybe I would put new ones and keep the grill fresh and in the game. If your gonna make it a looker and a collectible piece of yard art, then maybe keep it all original. It's a matter of personal preferance. I don't really see any problem replacing they legs and making it look nice and fresh. Some will tell you blasphamy. Do what you want. I would keep the old ash pan. I like the old ones much better than the new style.

Brian

whats wrong with the legs ? aren't they aluminum ? i polish up mine with some fine steel wool.
yes, i'm anal about original. when i tear down anything for cleaning/repair, i mark everything so it all goes back the same way including the handles. the only thing i do change is the hardware to ss.

The original wheel rubber is cracked and splitting in places, I do use this grill occasionally when I'm feeling nostalgic or only doing a couple burgers/brats. It was my Grandfather's he got it around 1974 according to my Dad. I would say that it was NOS in '74 since there is no patent and thumbscrews are present. My Uncle owned an ACE Hardware store in central NE at the time and gave it to him and my Grandmother as a house warming gift. So I'm guessing 1968 at the latest for the grill's age, maybe 1969. Everything is original including the ash pan. I restained the handle dark walnut last year. I love the metal hubs on the wheels, I would love to know how to restore them. Whether I replace the legs to keep it fresh or restore the originals, nothing on this grill is being or needs to be thrown away. I'm just pondering the idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
The original wheel rubber is cracked and splitting in places, I do use this grill occasionally when I'm feeling nostalgic or only doing a couple burgers/brats. It was my Grandfather's he got it around 1974 according to my Dad. I would say that it was NOS in '74 since there is no patent and thumbscrews are present. My Uncle owned an ACE Hardware store in central NE at the time and gave it to him and my Grandmother as a house warming gift. So I'm guessing 1968 at the latest for the grill's age, maybe 1969. Everything is original including the ash pan. I restained the handle dark walnut last year. I love the metal hubs on the wheels, I would love to know how to restore them. Whether I replace the legs to keep it fresh or restore the originals, nothing on this grill is being or needs to be thrown away. I'm just pondering the idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I would be happy to help. Just email me and send me a picture to go on. Here's mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back