Removing Rust from Cast Iron

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Got my hands on a used cast iron griddle that's flat on one side for pancakes and such, raised on the other for an indoor grill pan. Big rectangular guy that covers 2 stove burners.

Anyway, it's got some rust on it, and the seasoning on it is really gummed up and nasty in places.

SO...I wanna nuke it and start over.

My question is not how to re-season or strip, I found out all about that here...
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m...860033152#1860033152

My question is removing the stubborn rust. I used steel wool brillo-type pads and a LOT of elbow grease on it already and some of the rust spots just won't budge.

So the big question is this: what's a good way to get the rust off, so I can begin the process of re-seasoning?

If you REALLY want to strip it, try murietic acid (tech grade hydrochloric acid) - but wear gloves and eye protection - that stuff isn't kidding around!

Don't breath the fumes either. That stuff will etch concrete in a heart beat. How do I know, you ask?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I would think that if you're willing to re-season it, the thing to do would be to find someone with a sandblaster and have at it. That would take it back down to bare metal all the way around.

When I was bead blasting the rust off the cast iron grate of my Performer, I decided to go through and re-season all the CI in the kitchen. We had a 2 piece pot and lid with handles that was not rusty but had a build up of hard crud on the outside, it took forever to blast off but when I finished it revealed the Griswold logo on the lid.

Back