Reheating in a crock pot

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I looked at a lot of posts and could not find an answer. I've never reheated pull pork for a large group before. I plan on using a crock pot. Question is, do you use the crock (my crock pot has a crock insert or you can just use it without) and what I really need to know is how long it takes for a 3/4 full crock pot of pulled pork to come up to serving temp? Thanks.

If you use a crockpot make sure there is plenty of liquid. I recently made some PP for a friend and she served it in a crock pot on high heat (to warm it up faster). It dried out and burned on the bottom.

If you can, vac pack it or put it in boil safe plastic bags. Comes time to re-heat put the bags in boiling water then in the crock pot on low.

Better yet, if you can, go to the local party store,and get a disposable chafing set. The type where the food pan sits in a pan of hot water with a sterno can under it. The hot water will keep the meat in the pan hot and keep it from over heating and drying out.

I serve my pulled pork out of a crock pot all the time just heat it up low and use low sodium chicken broth to keep juicy the broth really brings out the smoke flavor

I have catered to several parties at my work were I have time constraints. Time have not allowed me to bring in a warm butt to shred. So, I have used this method with great results. I like to put my pulled pork into a couple of ZIP lock bags and a littel of Georges Vinegar Sauce or apple juice. Then when i get to work I fill the crock pot with a little water and turn it up to high. I put the zip lock bags with the pulled pork and sauce directly in the crock pot and let them warm up to serving temperature. When it is warm enough I dump out the water and then put the warm pulled pork into the warm crock pot.

I've had great luck reheating in a crockpot, I just add a little bit of apple juice, and season with a shake or two of rub. Heat on high, but watch it so it doesn't dry out. I think I read about how to do this in one of Paul Kirk's books.....
Works well enough though.

Back