Redi-Chek Remote Smoker Thermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack H

I was happy to receive my Maverick thermometer from the Gaget Source in only 3 days. And I was very pleased in its performance and convenience during the first half of a 14 Hour brisket cook on my WSM Sunday, when it developed a defective smoke chamber sensor; at times reading 100 degrees high and irratic at other times. I had to disconnect the sensor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I emailed the Gaget Source yesterday morning explaining the problem and received a reply immediately stating that they were sending a replacement unit.(the whole thing) I received confirmation of the shipment today.

Fantastic Service! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Has anybody had a simular problem with a sensor?

I got one for Christmas as well. I also have a Polder. Unfortunately, my Redi-Chek reads 5-6 degrees too high during the boiling water test. I've checked it couple of times now and the result is the same. My Polder has always been right on. So, I won't use the Redi-Chek for internal meat temps where +/- 5 degrees can make a difference, I'll use the Polder. But the Redi-Chek should be just fine for grate temps.

I ordered mine Sunday night - it would have been here today if not for an "adverse weather condition" - jeez, I didn't realize that 65 and a light drizzle was an adverse weather condition for UPS - at least according to their own tracking site, it is...oh well, hopefully tomorrow.

It is good to know that I can expect that type of customer service!!

Rick
I would be interested to hear what you think of your ET-73. I bought a Polder before I became "aware" of the ET-73, but now kinda wish I had two probes. But another responder above says it doesn't measure accurately. Let me know how it works for you.
Thanks

Jim P.
I've got an ET-73, mine is accurate, and works well. I'm very happy with it, but I suppose with anything that is mass produced bad ones could slip by and get shipped. Sounds like the Gadget Source will make things right. That is where I bought mine.

Jim P-

Hopefully I will have my ET-73 when I get home tonight - being that it is a new toy, I'll have to check it out and play with it a little bit /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'll be sure to post my results here once I check it in boiling water.

Been using my ET-73 since last July.
Ordered it from the GadgetSource.
Never have had one single problem. Best
smoking accessory purchase I've ever made!
I'm even still using the same original batteries
that came with it! Great product!

I got my ET-73 yesterday!! Yay!! Isn't it fun playing with new toys /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Overall, I think I will be very happy with the performance of the ET-73. I put both probes in boiling water and got readings of 212 from the meat probe and 213 from the smoker probe - I think those are results I can live with.

BUT (isn't there always a big but?) - I must say that I am a little surprised at the design of the receiver. The "screw" that holds the battery back on is a terrible design! In fact, 1 of the 2 TINY pieces that is supposed to lock this in place broke the first time I took the back off. So now it won't stay on at all. And to have the on/off switch inside this back is totally ridiculous! Why did they put this one inside the cover and not on the transmitter unit?? And I already feel that it is just a matter of time before the tiny caps that go in the probe plugs when not in use are going to come off in time.

So from a performance perspective, I think I will be happy although. From the design standpoint, I think there are several very small items that could be addressed to make this a much more user friendly product.

Of course, all IMHO...

I got my ET-73 yesterday!! Yay!! Isn't it fun playing with new toys /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Overall, I think I will be very happy with the performance of the ET-73. I put both probes in boiling water and got readings of 212 from the meat probe and 213 from the smoker probe - I think those are results I can live with.

BUT (isn't there always a big but?) - I must say that I am a little surprised at the design of the receiver. The "screw" that holds the battery back on is a terrible design! In fact, 1 of the 2 TINY pieces that is supposed to lock this in place broke the first time I took the back off. So now it won't stay on at all. And to have the on/off switch inside this back is totally ridiculous! Why did they put this one inside the cover and not on the transmitter unit?? And I already feel that it is just a matter of time before the tiny caps that go in the probe plugs when not in use are going to come off in time.

So from a performance perspective, I think I will be happy although. From the design standpoint, I think there are several very small items that could be addressed to make this a much more user friendly product.

Of course, all IMHO... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've been using the ET-73 for about 7 months. I've only had one problem with it since I got it. Once during an overnight cook it just lost it's signal to the remote. I woke up to straight lines on my remote unit in the morning. Fortunately the WSM performed so well that it wasn't a problem. It's never done that before or since.

I've had my ET about 8 months now and most people here have heard me rant and rave about my love/hate relationship with the unit. The unit was replaced once after a defect in the transmission occurred. Most of the time it works great, but once in a while, I lose transmission in the middle of a cook...and it usually happens on an overnight smoke! I absolutely love it when it works...when it works...
I have learned my lesson and always have a good 'ol fashioned manuel thermometer to use as back up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb]I absolutely love it when it works...when it works...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks, Randy. It is a fantastic unit with a simple design flaw with the transmitter screw and switch, probe wires too short, and most of all a tempermental piece of electronics.

All in all I wouldn't give mine up, but I'd definately pay a few dollars more for something built a little better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back