Recommendations for degreasers / cleaners for kettles and wsm

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi there,

What is the best way to clean our grills and grates at the end of grilling season? This year I do have some grease build up and I would like to do a really good cleaning inside and out.

I've tried the ammonia in a plastic bag to clean off the grates but I'm wondering is that going to ruin the paint and cause it to rust?

On the outside of the grill use any cleaner like Simple Green or Formula 409 and use 0000 steel wool. Wipe off with a clean rag after that. For the grates I usually just heat them up good and use my wire brushes, the regular Weber grill brush and the Weber detail brush.

Hi there,

What is the best way to clean our grills and grates at the end of grilling season? This year I do have some grease build up and I would like to do a really good cleaning inside and out.

I've tried the ammonia in a plastic bag to clean off the grates but I'm wondering is that going to ruin the paint and cause it to rust?
Here's how I do my grates...
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52121-Soaking-Grates
Spray with PAM (or equiv) when done including the coal grates.
For everything else I use warm water with dish detergent.

I used to use oven cleaner for some of it, but it it harsh and holy hell on aluminum.....avoid that stuff.

I use oven cleaner. Grate in a plastic bag. Kettle with lid on. Then after a day or so I respray and then I use ss scrubber. I no longer use steel wool as it can promote rust. After you are all done then spray the grate and anything else that might rust with pam. Then cover grill with a large plastic bag.

I'm still a noob here but I also use Simple Green or 409 on the outside of my grills. I'll never use a wire brush again on the grates after seeing how many loose wire bristles came off in the garage sink while washing the grates and after watching a TV special about the danger of them being swallowed with food. I had even purchased a stainless steel Weber brush which was relatively new and the bristles came off. I now use a metal scraper or wired "coil" style brush or just a scrub pad on the grates. If they are really bad, I use oven cleaner.

For the inside of the bowl, I use oven cleaner for a heavy buildup, letting it sit overnight. For a normal clean, I use awesome orange from the dollar store (as is the oven cleaner). I then use a razor blade to remove the stubborn carbon or grease deposits, finishing with a good rinse from the garden hose. Inside lid I just use a balled up piece of aluminum foil to scrub off the flaky carbon deposits. On the outside of the lid and bowl, I use the awesome orange and a rag. Stubborn spots will get the 0000 steel wool treatment. For grates i just use a steel brush to clean, making sure I wipe the grates with oil to protect them for a period of non-use.

For me there is no end of grilling season!

But I have a soaking tub similar to @Joe F, I cut the bottom off a 55 gallon poly drum and toss all the grates in with some water and OXY Clean powder or now OXO Brite from Costco.

Back