Real bbq void in my area

Godfrey Bethel

Hi folks. Yes there is a real void for "true" bbq in my neck of the woods, south fla. What folks here consider bbq is actually grilled not the long smoke it for two days kind of stuff. I have been thinking about buying a small used smoker and just between friends and family, start "bbqing/slow smoking" some pork, beef, chicken....ect and see what they think. I also have some killer sides..so I think..being that I was raised by grandma. Still finishing my culinary degree right now, but for the longest time this has been bugging me. Anyhow, just like to know how or what folks here think. Thanks.

PS. I would like to start a small....very small...side of the road nothing fancy bbq shack someday!

I would get a WSM 22"...I bet you and the friends/family will love it all. After that its easy to add a few more 22" for a small...very small bbq shack
icon_smile.gif

Im like you...Come from a "area" of the world that dont even know what bbq is...They think its a flavour added to chips
icon_rolleyes.gif

Start smoking...Get the bug...Go from there! You will never look back!

Welcome to the "cult"
icon_biggrin.gif
As Wolgast has said, start with a WSM and let it progress from there. Soon you will be like all the others here, and come home from a restaraunt disapointed by what you had
icon_smile.gif
knowing that you could have done better for half the money .

If all you want to do is to cook some traditional barbeque in a traditional manner, a WSM is the easiest cooker you can use. The learning curve is very short and you'll get excellent results right away.

If, on the other hand, what you are really wanting to do is begin catering, that's a whole different kettle of fish. (Kettle pun completely intended!)

This is how the sickness begins.....

I remember Shorty's in the Kendall area of Miami being VERY good Q. Not sure if it's even still there anymore.

Where in South Fl? We've got a few competitions coming up very shortly in Ft. Pierce and Stuart. You could get your BBQ fix at both of those and probably pick up some tips on cookers. I'm going to try to make one or both of them (probably both).

Russ

Don't worry about the lack of good bbq restaurants in your area. There are 4 good ones within 6 miles of my house and I never go to them; I prefer cooking my own. Get a WSM or kettle or both off craigslist and start Q'ing. Pretty soon there WILL be a place in your area for you and your friends to get good Q: Your house.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
Don't worry about the lack of good bbq restaurants in your area. There are 4 good ones within 6 miles of my house and I never go to them; I prefer cooking my own. Get a WSM or kettle or both off craigslist and start Q'ing. Pretty soon there WILL be a place in your area for you and your friends to get good Q: Your house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much what I was thinking. It's probably been close to a couple of years ago since I got my wife to eat at a bbq joint for anything but breakfast. Been wanting to make it out to Martin's place but she has no interest in going at all.
icon_confused.gif

Depends on the economy and what people in your neck of the woods consider good Q.
My area has been a void also. 25yrs out here and between 5-6 good BBQ joints (IMO) have failed, the only one that is still around is Famous Dave's.
Not knockin FD but I guess that's what the locals prefer?

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
Welcome to the "cult"
icon_biggrin.gif
As Wolgast has said, start with a WSM and let it progress from there. Soon you will be like all the others here, and come home from a restaraunt disapointed by what you had
icon_smile.gif
knowing that you could have done better for half the money . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your post is so true, we drove an hour one way to eat at a Q-joint that everybody raved about, after one bite of there pulled pork my wife looked at me and said (I can't believe we drove an hour for this, you need to teach them how to make pulled pork).

Back