Ravioli and sauce

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone have a good ravioli recipe or a creme sauce recipe? I thought I would ask here prior to playing the try to find a good one on the internet. I just trust the people here more than some anonymous person rating a recipe.
Lance

It depends a lot on what you want to put in the ravioli.

For a cream sauce I like a white wine and sage variation. Basically I would sweat one onion until it is sofft, add in three or four cloves of garlic and sweat a bit longer. Then I would add about 2 cups of white wine, reduce for a couple of minutes, add in 1/2 cup of cream and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Then I would add in about 1/4 cup of diced fresh sage leaves.

For the ravioli I would probably stuff them with butternut squash and ricotta cheese if I was using this sauce.

Clark

Clark,
Thanks for the creme sauce but I wanted to put some type of protein in the ravioli. Not sure exactly what but something that will knock my wife's socks off.
Lance

No problem. For protein you can really choose anything. If I was going to do it for my wife I would probably go with chicken and mushrooms, keeping the sauce the same. You could smoke the chicken and pull it or grill some breasts or thighs and dice them, then mix it with sauteed mushrooms, parm and some spinach (wilt it first).

What protein are you thinking? Definately a cream sauce?

Clark

Clark,
I am thinking the chicken and mushroom sounds like a great combination. My wife explicity asked for the cream sauce. I think I am going to do grilled pineapply slices with grilled pound cake and vanilla ice cream on top.

For chicken and mushroom I'd highly suggest using thighs for the chicken. (I roast them first, crisp the skin, then chop finely when cool. I chop some of the crisp skin very finely and this gets mixed in.)

For the mushroom component I'd suggest a duxelles, using either creminis or a mix of creminis or white mushrooms with reconstituted dried wilds. They're available a Trader Joe's.)

Kevin,
I did use chicken thighs for the extra flavor but used shiitake mushrooms. The filling turned out great. It was my first time making pasta so there was a steep learning curve. I learned some good things for next time. The grilled pineapple with the grilled poundcake turned out well but in the future I will use a whip cream with lemon zest iinstead of vanilla ice cream.
Lance

Bravo.

Shiitakes are a fine choice. For good mushroom-y flavor you want 'wild' mushrooms (shiitakes, creminis, portobellos, a dried blend) - or, barring their availability, white mushrooms that are nicely browned to concentrate their flavor.

What was your ratio of egg to flour? What did you learn?

Try a tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream plus the whipped cream. (A few scattered toasted pistachios are a thought.) The combo is a good one.

Kevin,
I used a Tyler Florence recipe for pasta. I think it was 6 eggs to 5 cups of flour which turned out way to dry so I had to add water to even make it into a dough. I learned that pasta dries quickly, the dough goes from a small ball into a rather long sheet of dough, the importance of working quickly, rolling dough is a two person job, ensure ravioli edges are sealed, and finally make sure your filling isn't too wet or it will make the pasta dough sticky, which will cause the dough to tear. I am also thinking about grilling the pineaplle and then cutting it up into a relish/chutney because the pineapple rings were kind of hard to cut and not destroy the pound cake.
Lance

One major problem is the recipe. In both the mixer and hand versions he says to use all the flour from the get-go. This is just wrong. If the dough is dry he says to add water. Water should not be necessary at all (nor should oil unless one is using it for flavor). If the dough is dry it's because too much flour was used. Pasta must be gauged as it's made due to the variances in moisture content of the flour at hand and the ambient humidity.

If making by hand one feels the right amount of flour. When the dough becomes a shaggy mass it's kneaded - still in the mound - till it comes together, then should be removed to a floured surface to be kneaded further, adding flour from the mound only when needed.

One can finesse this in a machine by starting with less flour than called for then, after the dough comes together a bit, adding flour just a bit at a time and periodically feeling the dough.

If using a machine don't take it past the slightly sticky stage in the machine. Remove it, knead a minute or two on a lightly floured surface to get a sense of it and, if still tacky, re-flour the surface and knead till smooth.

I usually cut pineapple into planks (cut lengthwise) rather than rings (which are cut crosswise). A relish works well too. Have the rest of your relish ingredients ready to go (e.g., finely chopped toasted nuts and/or crushed nut brittle; finely minced candied ginger, dried mango, or dried banana; vanilla bean seeds; pomagranate molasses, agave nectar, etc.), or just go it alone, grill the pineapple, chop (I like a small and large dice together), toss with the other ingredients, if using, and serve.

Not that Kevin needs me to second what he's saying but I'll do it anyways! When I started making pasta I had a heck of a time getting the correct consistency. Now whether it is egg, water, or any combination I do not measure at all. Just add a little flour if it is too wet. It's trial and error at first but you get the hang of it really fast and then pasta making is a breeze and a one person job!

Clark

Kevin,
I will give pasta another go in the future and do your approach. It makes sense. I guess I was too trusting of the recipe. Thanks for the ideas about the relish. I have never used agave nectar or pomagranate molasses so I am not sure what flavors they bring. I am willing experiment. Do you have any ideas on how to make a lemon syrup that I could put on the pound cake sans pineapple.
Clark,
Making the pasta is a one person job but rolling out the pasta seems like a 2 person job. I have a machine that I have to crank by hand so I needed help with feeding the dough through the rollers.
Lance

Agave nectar is not unlike sugar syrup but with slight caramel notes. (TJ's has it.) Pomegranate molasses is reduced pom juice and tasted like that, i.e., fruity with sweet and sour overnotes with an emphasis on the sour (in a nice way). It is quite thick. (It's terrific with grilled, roasted or smoked meats, btw, in a glaze or sauce. It's available in bottles from Mediterranean grocers or from WF. Put the bottle in a bowl of hot water for several minutes prior to use. This will help it pour better.)

For a glaze, mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional: add 1/4-1/2 t very finely grated lemon zest) in a non-reactive pot and bringto a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Allow to simmer 2 or 3 minutes till a bit thickened.

(You could add a tablespoon or two of the pom molasses to the glaze if you get some and want to try it.)

Kevin,
Thanks for the info. I will try this in the future. If you ever get a chance to stay in Portland, you need to go the restaurant called the Beast. The website is www.beastpdx.com.
Lance

Back