Rare Lime Green Bar B Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJ

TVWBB Pro
Well, Thanks to Bill S, I was able to pick up this Bar B Kettle yesterday.I have only seen 2 of these on this site so any info on the year would be nice. I would say its in in pretty decent shape with a few rust spots between dime and quarter sizes. All vents work well, legs and wheels are in very good shape, but the cooking grate is shot. Now I just need to clean her up.

1333485358492.jpg

1333485366946.jpg

1333485386844.jpg

1333485457798.jpg

1333485409943.jpg

1333485437941.jpg

I found it at a big old house in central NJ that is undergoing an total renovation by the new owners. My guess is that it was left in the garage/barn when they moved in. I played it calm until I paid and had half of it in my car when I mention how rare it was. The lady was shocked that people actually collect grills. hahah

Shaun, Don't you have one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm almost positive its lime Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
well, jeff, if anyone would know, you'd be my go to guy!
and lookin' closer, you're on target. looks like no darker ringer around the lid.

probably the rhum i had earlier
icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim Said,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">probably the rhum i had earlier </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, if you can't tell the differnece in those 2 greens, it must be some good Rum!

Yeah, that looks like the "in between" lime green of the middle 1970s. I'm think the limes were the transition between the early two-tone avacado green and the current dark green of the late 1970s-present. Can you post a close up pic of the vent damper?
icon_razz.gif

i THINK the lime's were before the avocados, likely mid to late 60s.

i'm uncaffeinated (retarded) right now, but from what I remember, my lime doesn't have any patent pending stamp in the damper - which dates it pre-1970

My goal is to clean it up this weekend if I have the time and take some better pictures. I will include one of the damper. I did send weber an email to see if they could get me some info so I will see what they say and pass it along.

Joel,
I can't lie, I only paid $15 for it. That's why I waited until it was almost all in my car before I mentioned how rare it was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cecil Jenkins:
when did weber stop making lime green? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that the limes/avacados were gone by the late 70s. The 1979 edition of one of Webers cookbooks features a dark blue and dark green kettle amongst red/brown/black kettles instead of the yellow and avacado/lime green ones from the 1972 printing. Can't remember the name of the cookbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back