Random hardwood...safe to use for smoking?

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
Walking down my street last weekend, I stumbled across a few logs left at the curb by a neighbour. I figure they were just trimming back a tree. These are decent-sized logs, from which I can make a lot of chunks. The problem is, I have no idea what kind of wood it is. I think it could be a variety of maple, but that's just wishful thinking. I'm almost positive it's hardwood, though. So is it safe to use? My thinking is that any hardwood should be ok.

And yes, I can ask the neighbour, but I don't really know him that well so feel weird knocking on his door. If I see him out front, I'll ask.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
And yes, I can ask the neighbour, but I don't really know him that well so feel weird knocking on his door. If I see him out front, I'll ask.

Hey, don't be shy.... I will pull right over if I see somebody pruning larger branches off something that looks good. Never had anyone refuse me some pieces as of yet..

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Now this has gotten me thinking...

last summer I cut down a black cherry tree. Still have the logs and was thinking of using them for a smoke. I assumed they would be ok...anyone use black cherry? Bark and all??

And related to this...many years ago I bought some red oak beams from a sawyer. I'm thinking of using chunks of these too in a smoke...same basic question, anyone use red oak?

Thanks, and I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking this thread 8)

Thanks, and I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking this thread 8)

Not at all. It's all related. But I'd like to know if there's a general rule about hardwood. Essentially, if it's hardwood is it good to go?

Don,

thanks for the link. The warning at the bottom of the wood list hat the following:

"ONLY USE HARDWOODS FOR SMOKING AND GRILLING"

Basically, stay away from pine trees and such. That I knew, and this one is definitely not a pine tree. It's quality hardood, that much I can tell. There's a lot of junk wood like poplar out there, that I can recognize and wouldn't use. Anyhow, I'll knock on teh neighbour's door at some point to make sure.

Thanks guys.

I've been trying to figure out the right way to reply to this question. IMO, just because it's hardwood, doesn't mean you would want to cook over it. For me, I want to KNOW exactly what the heck I'm cooking over. A clear pic of the inside wood split, and a clear pic of the bark would be of great help here.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I've been trying to figure out the right way to reply to this question. IMO, just because it's hardwood, doesn't mean you would want to cook over it. For me, I want to KNOW exactly what the heck I'm cooking over. A clear pic of the inside wood split, and a clear pic of the bark would be of great help here.
icon_wink.gif

I 100% agree with Bryan. I would be very warry of "strange wood." My advice is to break down and buy exactly what you want from the internet or find a local source of good wood.

I'd say without knowing exactly what kind of wood it is, I would pass...how much do you use per cook...maybe $.25 to maybe a $1.00??? Is is worth chancing ruining great meat? Would you use free charcoal you had no idea where it came from?

You know what, I'll just ditch the stuff. I don't know what it is. Besides, we had this big storm the other day, and this big maple down the street had a branch fall in the wind. Score. I know exactly what it is.

Plus, I've got some apple wood logs from an orchard. No need to take risks. I guess I was just curious.

Back