Rancher Charcoal...where??

JMGarciaJr

TVWBB Fan
About a year ago, I saw Rancher charcoal briquettes on sale at Home Depot ($2.99/bag!) and bought a bag to try. I loved it so much that I bought...uh...several more bags at that price. After about 13 months, I'm down to my last two bags and -- I bet you could see this coming -- I can't find it anywhere in the Miami area.

I'm deranged enough that I'll drive 2-3 hours to load up, if it came to that. Any suggestions/help?

Thanks in advance,

not being sold anywhere as far as i know. some costco's sell their lump. supposed to be available again in 09. try finding ro. some restaurant and indy hardware stores sell big bads of ro briquettes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
If this is as popular, or good, as some say here, why can't we find it anywhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, Advertising/Marketing or the lack there of I would guess. K is all over the TV, never seen a TV commercial for Rancher. America has been brainwashed for so many years with K advertising... Thinking about it, can't even remember a Royal Oak commercial, come to think of it. Hump Lump Rules!
icon_biggrin.gif

From what I've read, Rancher was available at HD as late as last year. It also seems it was sold as a Lost Leader, but why is it stil not there is the question.

I'm not an expert, but HD is changing the way they do biz from what I understand. Basically it's the vendor's responsibility to stock the shelves and market the product.

Clearly, Rancher can't service a couple thousand stores so they'd have to use a distributer to care for their space. That costs $$$ and I'm doubting there's much profit in the lump since it's such a niche market when compared to the juggernaut of "K".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
not being sold anywhere as far as i know. some costco's sell their lump. supposed to be available again in 09. try finding ro. some restaurant and indy hardware stores sell big bads of ro briquettes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just seen a whole bunch of Rancher Briquettes yesterday in our local Menards store. #18 bag for around 5-6 bucks. I can't remember for sure because I was looking for lump not briquettes. So I didn't buy any. Plenty available though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JMGarciaJr:
About a year ago, I saw Rancher charcoal briquettes on sale at Home Depot ($2.99/bag!) and bought a bag to try. I loved it so much that I bought...uh...several more bags at that price. After about 13 months, I'm down to my last two bags and -- I bet you could see this coming -- I can't find it anywhere in the Miami area.

I'm deranged enough that I'll drive 2-3 hours to load up, if it came to that. Any suggestions/help?

Thanks in advance, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, is that you? I still have a few bags left in the garage and wish I had more. I have used royal oak lump for the last few high heat cooks, but still love the rancher for long low cooks. Please let me know if you find some and we can take my truck to get "a few" bags
icon_wink.gif

I have a few of the #20 bags left from last year.

I don't think you'll ever find them again for the price HD sold them at last year.

I bought a few #8.8 bags from their warehouse recently and they were more expensive than the #20 bags sold for last year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Piccolo:
Joe, is that you? I still have a few bags left in the garage and wish I had more. I have used royal oak lump for the last few high heat cooks, but still love the rancher for long low cooks. Please let me know if you find some and we can take my truck to get "a few" bags
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, it's me, finally here. The closest place to us I've found carrying Rancher is in Lanett, AL which is on the AL-GA state line, between Montgomery & Atlanta. (Perhaps you can talk your folks into...)

I fired off an email to the makers asking them for some possible locations, but no reply yet. I'd be willing to haul the minivan (or your truck, I'm not proud) up to Orlando or Tampa to resupply.

Now, I also know some folks have bought directly from them, but you pretty much have to order fairly brutal quantities and the shipping really hikes up the price. The Wicked Good briquette has been very well received also and that one I'm pretty sure is available in Orlando. Maybe even closer to us.

And the annoying thing is that as I hauled off "several" bags of Rancher, I just KNEW I should have bought a pallet.

I read elsewhere that Rancher isn't good for high temp direct grilling because the ash "swirls", but it's great for "low and slow". Anyone here had this issue?

I have been in contact w/the people at Original Charcoal Co. Here in NC, it is now available at Lowe's Foods grocery store. It is pricey, though. It is $5.99, I believe, for a 8.8lb bag!

-Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I read elsewhere that Rancher isn't good for high temp direct grilling because the ash "swirls", but it's great for "low and slow". Anyone here had this issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was my beef with Rancher when I used it in my Drum Smoker, the fats dripping on the coals would stir up the ashes. So I only used it in the WSM's. I bought over 60 bags Memorial Day weekend 2007 and am down to my last 6 bags.

I loved Rancher especially for the long, slow cooks because it lasted much longer than Kingsford, AND produced MUCH less ash.

The Rancher did produce a lot of sparks, but I still got good results for shorter cooks like Baby Back Ribs, Chicken, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I read elsewhere that Rancher isn't good for high temp direct grilling because the ash "swirls", but it's great for "low and slow". Anyone here had this issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was my beef with Rancher when I used it in my Drum Smoker, the fats dripping on the coals would stir up the ashes. So I only used it in the WSM's. I bought over 60 bags Memorial Day weekend 2007 and am down to my last 6 bags. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO Rancher was only good at that sale price. I too felt it ashed up too much and was only good for the WSM (not the grill). I've also used their lump from Costco and it sparks too much. I have a lot of the stuff and I'll use it up but when it's gone, good riddens. I like Royal Oak lump and I can usually find it at a reasonable price.

In my limited experience, Rancher was great for low and slow, it had a slow, predictable burn and lasted a long time. I did not think it was very good for high temp cooks as it seemed to not get hot enough. I find lump far better for high heat and am now learning how to use it for lower cooks. Rancher did not have much of an off smell as K, but lump is much better...Bryan S et al. have me converted.

Back