Raichlen's "Smokelahoma Brisket'

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Anyone watching the new season of BBQ-U and catch that gahroovy "Smokelahoma Brisket" Raichlen made? It had a paste, a rub, and a mop. Cooked it on a ranch kettle for 9 hours (maybe I should try it as a first cook for my monstrous old ranch, tho adding coals every hour? oy veh. but good to know if I need to speed cook a big ol' packer). You purists will be horrified to see that he foils it halfway thru, but it sure did look good. He made some really neat baked beans to accompany it. Looked like a total winner!

Well looky here, the recipe is on his website!
http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305.html

I saw part of that show also. Looked pretty tasty to me. I can't believe you haven't cooked on the big kettle yet!
Thanks for the link. I need to order his book. Which one do you like the best, BBQ U or BBQ USA?

Don't believe him. That foil is a Texas thing.
icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (who does REAL Oklahoma briskets...
icon_biggrin.gif
)

That recipe looks good. I wonder about something - does it really good to do all that rubing and pasting on the fat? The recipe calls for leaving about a 1/4 inch of fat. It doesn't seem like any flavor would get to the meat.

I haven't done a brisket lately, but I'm planning that my next on be fat side down with the top well rubbed/spiced. I also do not have any plans on using foil.

The BBQ U is a DVD set. All recipes on this season is from BBQ USA, which I highly recommend.

I smoked this brisket recipe this weekend. The fat had already been trimmed well below the 1/4 recommended in the recipe. I placed the paste and rub on top of the fat and by the end of he cook, most of it had rendered away. I coooked fat side up an placed bacon on it after three hours. I foiled once the temp reached 165 and kept foiled till 190. I placed it in a cooler and let it sit for about four hours. (I was trying to get this cook in before the forecasted rain, which never materialized). It was nice and tender but a little dry.

Some of the things I would differently. I smeared the mustard sugar paste on a 5 pound flat. The recipes portions is for a 10 pound brisket. I placed too much of the paste on so the rub never stuck to the meat very well. I had so much paste that the rub and paste slid off as I transferred it to the grate. I would apply a thin layer, just enough to hold the rub in place. I dont know if I would foil again. I havent done many briskets and this was the first time I foiled. I liked the results better when I didnt foil, but the jury is still out. I didnt mop religiously every hour so I wonder if this was the reason for it being drier than I like. All in all, it was tasty and I would do it again.

My favorite Raichlen book is "How To Grill."

I'm not much of a foiler myself, but I guess if I tried this on the grill (it's a speed cook, as Raichlen notes) it would be worth trying just to ensure moistness. The mystery is, why would I want to cook a big ol' packer in 9 hours having to add fuel every hour when I could cook it nearly effortlessly for 20 hours with the WSM?

Louie, thanks for the tips!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
My favorite Raichlen book is "How To Grill."

I'm not much of a foiler myself, but I guess if I tried this on the grill (it's a speed cook, as Raichlen notes) it would be worth trying just to ensure moistness. The mystery is, why would I want to cook a big ol' packer in 9 hours having to add fuel every hour when I could cook it nearly effortlessly for 20 hours with the WSM?

Louie, thanks for the tips! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Susan, the guy Steven mention smoked this packer at 190 degrees for 24 hours. Do you plan to do the same thing, and do you expect any problems keeping the WSM that low for that long?

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The mystery is, why would I want to cook a big ol' packer in 9 hours having to add fuel every hour when I could cook it nearly effortlessly for 20 hours with the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try the miniom method on one fo your (many
icon_wink.gif
) kettles. You should be able to get at least 6 hours of sustained 250 when using a water pan and fire brick or other baffle.

Thanks, Jay! I do use the minion method on my kettles, but only to sustain high temps (like when using my rotis on a prime rib or doing a beer can turkey). True, that way I'd only have to add coals every couple of hours instead of on the hour.

Tony, my WSM cooks OFTEN run 24 hours, so, yeah, I betcha I could keep her that low and slow.

But I really truly do need to try out that Ranch one of these days...!

I made the beans from this episode this past weekend. Wow, did they come out fantastic.

I didn't have a cast iron skillet big enough to hold all of those beans, so I used an aluminum foil pan. There were very popular with the crowd.

-Matt

Back