Quick overnighter

Corey Rogers

TVWBB Member
Hey all, first post here. I wanted to post a couple weeks ago when I did some spare ribs, but forgot the camera till it was too late
icon_redface.gif

So I picked up a couple small butts, just under 7 lbs. and just under 6 lbs. respectively. Rubbed them yesterday morning then wrapped in the fridge for the day. Lit the fire around 7PM and the meat went on at 8PM. I fought to keep the temp up for the first few hours. I couldn't figure out why until I was browsing these forums and saw another discussion. I overloaded the charcoal and the water pan was actually sitting on the coals, smothering the top layer some. I still need to get better a guaging how much fuel I need as I have a fair amount left over today. After things burned down a bit, it settled in nicely at 244* for the night. Fell asleep at midnight, temp. alarm went off at 530AM this morning at 190*. After moving the probe a bit, left them on another 1/2 hour to pick up a few more internal degrees. Off the WSM at 6AM and foiled in a cooler. Pulled at 8AM and fed the family at lunch. Ended up with 7.6 lbs. of pulled pork from 12.5 lbs. starting weight.

I used the rub and sauce recipe from Here . This is my first experience with NC style vinegar sauce. I won't say it's gonna replace my love for Curly's spicy bbq sauce, but it was very tasty and will be a staple in my fridge.

Overnight BBQ evidence

wsmsmile8gm.gif
<--- best smiley ever

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the water pan was actually sitting on the coals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this mean we can call you Bobby Flay?
icon_razz.gif

Good job! One tip, if you're not using your bottom grate, don't leave it in there .. More to clean up.
icon_wink.gif
I'll have 3 sammies, please!

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the water pan was actually sitting on the coals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this mean we can call you Bobby Flay?
icon_razz.gif

Good job! One tip, if you're not using your bottom grate, don't leave it in there .. More to clean up.
icon_wink.gif
I'll have 3 sammies, please!

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill I agree with removing the bottom grate if you are not using it. However I really never clean my grates when I'm done. Usually I just remove the middle cooking section and use the remaining coals to burn off any bits left on the greates. I do this by putting the grate on the charcoal ring seemes to work fine. I just use a grill brush and scrub them clean. Let them cool back in the center section and then store away the wsm back in the garage. Just my 2 cents. Vince

That's cool, Vince.
icon_cool.gif
"What works best for you" is the motto of many here
icon_smile.gif
. I keep all my extra grates and what not inside because I have a place for them and they're out of the elements (low humidity, no spiders, etc.) Or, you could do like Ralph here .
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
That's cool, Vince.
icon_cool.gif
icon_smile.gif
. I keep all my extra grates and what not inside because I have a place for them and they're out of the elements (low humidity, no spiders, etc.) Or, you could do like Ralph here .
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I do hope you know that I am kidding here LOL... but then again.. this IS Georgia LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Corey, not sure if you have seen this sauce recipe, but it's pretty darn good. Link to Fat Jonny's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I saw that one and will likely use it in the future. I'm still doing everything "by the book" on the recipes from the posts here as I don't have the personal experience to make changes yet. The rub and finishing sauce I used this time were together, so that's how I used em. I'll break out of my comfort zone sometime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Rogers:
The rub and finishing sauce I used this time were together, so that's how I used em. I'll break out of my comfort zone sometime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Corey, I'll help you out here. This rub by Kevin Kruger works very well with the Fat Jonny's. This is my normal combo on butts these days.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph Grunz:
That's cool, Vince.
icon_cool.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I do hope you know that I am kidding here LOL... but then again.. this IS Georgia LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do, hence the
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill
icon_wink.gif

Back