questions on throwing a party for 50

David B.

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,
I'm turning 40 in a month and my wife insists on throwing a party for me. At first, plans were to have the event catered but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted the event to be laid back and relaxed and with some BBQ. Although there are quite a few places in the area that have great BBQ, I just didn't see the point in spending extra $$$ when I am quite capable of making some of the simple things I want on that day. I plan on making some BBQ pulled pork and brisket flats as well as ordering some fried chicken for a total of 3 meat selections for 50 people.

First question, how much meat should I make? Naturally I plan on having a few sides along with the meat selection, I was estimating at around 1/2# of meat per person. About a dozen or so of the guests will be women and are not big eaters, let alone red meat eaters, so they will add a "buffer" zone to the food estimate but I definitely want to make sure I have enough food without going overboard.

Second, I plan on buying my pork butts at Costco and cooking them in the oven. With the weather never being absolutely predictable I like the fact that the butts can be cooked indoors in case it rains and or isn't ideal smoking weather, I also plan on using the WSM for smoking the brisket flats. We are going to have chafers setup to keep the food warm and I also have a trio of crock-pots that I plan on filling with BBQ sauces so people can have some options for saucing their food as desired. Can you also include what you estimate will be the cooking time for the amount of pork butts I will need? As well as any other helpful info.

As always, THANK YOU in advance for taking the time to answer my questions and for your help.
David

I see utterly no point to cooking the butts in the oven - not if you want barbecue. Simply cook them ahead of time - either all at once or over the course of a few cooks - rest, pull, cool, then pack in FoodSaver bags and vacuum (or in other containers) and freeze.

Using 1/2 pound each raw meat should work fine for the butt and brisket. Figure a piece count for the chicken.

Cooking time is always dependent on cooking temp. Quantity of butts doesn't matter much.

Remember that chafers are designed to keep warm or hot food warm or hot - not get them that way. Heat the food first, then place in chafers.

If cooking in advance it is ESSENTIAL that food be properly cooled BEFORE being packed for cold storage.

Last edited:
You didn't mention ribs but:

I did a pound (raw) back ribs for 8 (so 8 lb plus the normal sides) and it worked out perfect. Because you've got more meats planned, I would do 1/3lb ribs per person (so 50/3= say 15 lb raw ribs).

Just did a party for 25 yesterday (Sunday). Cooked 6 racks of ribs on Friday, two large butts on Friday night into Saturday, 15 lb brisket overnight on Saturday in to Sunday. Ribs keep well in heavy foil ( add a couple of tablespoons of apple juice before foiling. Reheat in oven at 275 for 45 minutes, brush with some sauce and finish for 5-10 minutes on 300 degree grill. Pulled pork saves easy as KK mentioned. Personally, I don't like to reheat brisket -- just my thing. Not much in the way of leftovers, except for the pork. I don't mind, sammies for the next few weeks.

It's a lot of work over several days to do a Q for 50, but rewarding.

I see utterly no point to cooking the butts in the oven - not if you want barbecue. Simply cook them ahead of time - either all at once or over the course of a few cooks - rest, pull, cool, then pack in FoodSaver bags and vacuum (or in other containers) and freeze.

Using 1/2 pound each raw meat should work fine for the butt and brisket. Figure a piece count for the chicken.

Cooking time is always dependent on cooking temp. Quantity of butts doesn't matter much.

Remember that chafers are designed to keep warm or hot food warm or hot - not get them that way. Heat the food first, then place in chafers.

If cooking in advance it is ESSENTIAL that food be properly cooled BEFORE being packed for cold storage.
thanks, already had the plan to use chafers to keep foods warm not to heat them up.
how long would pulled pork keep in the fridge? instead of freezing it i could cook them a few days ahead of time and just store in the fridge.

You didn't mention ribs but:

I did a pound (raw) back ribs for 8 (so 8 lb plus the normal sides) and it worked out perfect. Because you've got more meats planned, I would do 1/3lb ribs per person (so 50/3= say 15 lb raw ribs).
would love to do ribs but due to the number of people i am having over, i just think that pork butts and brisket are a little easier due to the fact that they take up less space to prep, cook, and store. but i will definitely be doing a few racks from time to time when i have my family over. thanks for your input.

Just did a party for 25 yesterday (Sunday). Cooked 6 racks of ribs on Friday, two large butts on Friday night into Saturday, 15 lb brisket overnight on Saturday in to Sunday. Ribs keep well in heavy foil ( add a couple of tablespoons of apple juice before foiling. Reheat in oven at 275 for 45 minutes, brush with some sauce and finish for 5-10 minutes on 300 degree grill. Pulled pork saves easy as KK mentioned. Personally, I don't like to reheat brisket -- just my thing. Not much in the way of leftovers, except for the pork. I don't mind, sammies for the next few weeks.

It's a lot of work over several days to do a Q for 50, but rewarding.
thanks for your input, i agree in that i prefer not to reheat brisket as well. i find that it loses a little something something from the day it was cooked to the next, but as you said, maybe it's just me. i do like reusing my leftover brisket for a smoky version of a carne asada taco and get quite a few compliments on it.
i also plan on using some brisket cubes for making a twist on biscuits n gravy

thanks, already had the plan to use chafers to keep foods warm not to heat them up.
how long would pulled pork keep in the fridge? instead of freezing it i could cook them a few days ahead of time and just store in the fridge.
Several days. Quality can suffer a bit after 3. But as long as the pork was cooled correctly and stored correctly you have a few more than 3, all told.

Several days. Quality can suffer a bit after 3. But as long as the pork was cooled correctly and stored correctly you have a few more than 3, all told.

thanks, that gives me another option.
i've cooked, cooled, and frozen items before, however, since you have mentioned following proper procedures to store away food in both posts could you please review the steps you would take to freeze some pulled pork?

David, The biggest thing is to cool as quickly as possible. When I pull a butt it's resting on a sheet pan and as as I go I'm spreading it out so there is maximum surface area to cool. Once it's pulled it goes onto another sheet pan that has been in the freezer. Soon as the meat is at rm (@70d) temp... into the fridge (or freezer if I have space) still on the sheet pan. Once chilled to less then 40d; that's when I start packing for freezing. To me, besides the safety factor, it maintains the best quality in the product. In the winter I just go out on the deck to pull and prep for the freezer. Nothing like pulling a warm pork shoulder while the snow flies all around you!

David, The biggest thing is to cool as quickly as possible. When I pull a butt it's resting on a sheet pan and as as I go I'm spreading it out so there is maximum surface area to cool. Once it's pulled it goes onto another sheet pan that has been in the freezer. Soon as the meat is at rm (@70d) temp... into the fridge (or freezer if I have space) still on the sheet pan. Once chilled to less then 40d; that's when I start packing for freezing. To me, besides the safety factor, it maintains the best quality in the product. In the winter I just go out on the deck to pull and prep for the freezer. Nothing like pulling a warm pork shoulder while the snow flies all around you!

thank you. much appreciated.

The method Marc notes is the one I recommend or, alternatively, place the pulled pork on a sheetpan to cool then place in Ziplocs (or FoodSaver bags) and plunge the bags into a pot of heavily iced water, making sure the tops of the bags are open and that the open tops remain above the surface of the water. When cold seal and fridge or freeze.

The method Marc notes is the one I recommend or, alternatively, place the pulled pork on a sheetpan to cool then place in Ziplocs (or FoodSaver bags) and plunge the bags into a pot of heavily iced water, making sure the tops of the bags are open and that the open tops remain above the surface of the water. When cold seal and fridge or freeze.

and if you happen to have some rock salt laying around you can add it to the ice bath to get the water/ice below freezing temps...

Hmmmm...makes we wonder if I've been doing a no-no then. I cool down to room temp, vacu-suck in foodsaver bags and then dump in the ice bath. Am I begging for trouble using this method, Kevin?

There is a guy that posted over in the Photo Gallery Forum, lives in Chicago, and just did a BBQ for 100 over Labor Day Weekend...the title is 99 pounds of meat...something to that effect...lots of pics and advice etc.

Back