Questions on kosher ribs

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
A lot of changes going on this year. No ribfest for the first time in 8 years...Mom is battling lung cancer and we just can't anticipate if a day will be good or a disaster...so this year it's a wash.
For various reasons I chose to embrace my Jewish heritage and become Orthodox and start eating kosher. That meant having to get rid of both of my WSM's as they have had pork in them and you can't kasher a smoker...no problems finding good homes for them...and it gives me an excuse to buy two of the big boys.
My question is this...even among kosher meat there are certain parts of the animal that have too much fat or forbidden veins to be used, specifically the back half of the animal at the level of the 12th rib.
For the pros or butchers out there here are my questions:
does that negate baby back beef ribs?
I do see spare ribs and "bbq ribs" available kosher, what is the differnce and knowing that I am limited to the 12th rib is there any difference in timing. short ribs are also available, any guidance here?
First and second cut brisket are kosher, which would be better for smoking?
Has anyone ever smoked veal or lamb ribs? Both of which are kosher but the same rules apply, first half of the animal only.
I'm curious on seeing the results of kosher chicken which are all brined...
I may be saying goodbye to pork, but I refuse to give up my smoking...
icon_biggrin.gif

"... first half of the animal only."

Hmmm ... what does a kosher butcher do with the back half of the animal?

the back half of the animal, along with any animals that were shown to have disease or defect...are sold to the general market where it is considered acceptable by the USDA.

Hi Randy, I was a supermarket meatcutter for 20 years in another life so here goes, the beef ribs generally include ribs 1 through 7 so you should be OK there. You generally will want to smoke an entire, intact brisket (first and second cut). The short rib again generally is from ribs 1-7, there are others, commonly called "flanken ribs" which come from the shoulder clod (another part of the chuck so you should be OK with that as well. I've never done it but am told a whole boneless shoulder clod is a good item to smoke cook. Remember , I'm a meatcutter not a Rabbi Jim
icon_smile.gif

Hi Randy, two of my adult children became Orthodox and I, too, had to get rid of my Masterpiece smoker and old Weber propane grill. I now own a Weber 18.5" WSM and Genesis grill. We usually smoke brisket and corned beef (which makes pastrami) and all kinds of cuts of beef ribs. In fact, I just bought beef flanked to smoke for the first time. I usually buy short ribs which are meaty and delicious. Beef flanked is traditionally cooked in soup along with noodles. Add a little horse radish and you have an excellent dinner in a pot. Enjoy your new challenges in the world of kosher smoking.

Back