Question re: Sand instead of water in pan

Brad Morrell

TVWBB Member
I experimented with sand a few years ago, but switched back to water after a few tries. Don't really remember why.

Anyway, I have been rethinking my entire cooking process, and have been thinking of giving sand another try.

The biggest thing I am curious to find out is if there is a noticable difference in bark - especially on butts and briskets.

My butts get a great bark with water, but my brisket never really does "firm up" (for lack of a better word). I don't foil or spray either, just make sure that there is always plenty of water in the pan.

Anyone ever made this switch from water to sand and noticed a difference in end product?

I use sand quite a bit when cooking only on the top grate. I started just using water and then began doing sand several years ago. I can't really say I've noticed that using sand helped with the bark on brisket. Really didn't notice that much difference. As you know, sand can be a little trickier and can permit some higher temps than desirable if not watched carefully on the way up. Those higher heats might result in an increase in bark, but they can also result in a drier brisket. Bottom line, if temps are mainted in correct range, I would doubt there would be an appreciable difference in bark production.

Paul

My thinking, Paul, is that since there is sand in the pan vs. water, a dryer cooking environment will be the result.

I don't know for sure, but just from thinking about it, my thoughts are that the moist cooking environment is somehow preventing the bark on the brisket from developing.

I would think that a dry cooking environment would eliminate that.

Or am I just crazy?
icon_smile.gif

Brad

You certainly could be correct. The majority view seems to be that water serves only as a heat sink and does not help the product stay "more moist". A butt is very moist, if not cooked too long, because of the internal fat that is being rendered during the cook. A brisket has less internal fat and is subject to drying out easier than a butt, ime. On the other hand, I've certainly seen the water boiling in the waterpan; boiling water produces steam and I assume that would deposit on the meat. My guess however, is that using water might well produce a bark that is not quite as hard as that produced in a drier heat environment, such as with sand.

Paul

I, too, think that water is primarily a heat sink. It does not add moisture to the meat. But I do think that the steam reduces the evaporative potential of the cooking environment somewhat. How much, I think, depends on the temp of the cooker and the level of positive airflow.

Though the process of bark formation is the same for butt or brisket, imo the formation of specific bark textures is not. I feel that this is because of the difference between the structure of brisket meat and butt meat. BBrisket meat has a more open, coarser texture. The openness of the grain allows the powdered rub ingredients to wallow in exuded moisture (if you will) and can result in a moister, sometimes pasty bark. Lots of sugar, paricularly standard brown, can increase this effect.

You can try sand alone (be careful to watch the bottom of the meat on the bottom rack which bears the brunt of the heat emanating from the sand). You can separately or concurrently try reducing the sugar in the rub or, perhaps better, reducing the sugar and switching to a very coarse turbinado (check Harry's specialty sugar aisle). You can also vary the textures in your rub by varying the grind coarseness of the included ingredients. If using water in the pan you can try cranking the temp of the cooker when approaching the finish (if you foil then this necessitates opening the foil and flipping the brisket to fatcap down if it isn't already). Or, if you know roughly how much water you go through in a cook, you can allow the water to dissipate so that by the end of the cook you're waterless and dryer. You may or may not choose to increase the heat as well, depending on the bark texture you seek and how far along you are in achieving it.

I've been a sand user for over a year now, and do feel that it gives you a harder bark. The dryer air someone posted about is the same reasons I would have for it also. I don't do much spray basting on butts anymore, so I may see it more than people that like to spray a lot.
I also do not use sand when using the bottom grates, I go back to water. Some still use sand and don't see an issue. I feel seeing that the sand gets hotter, the radiant heat dries out the meat on the bottom rack.
Others are right about watching the temps with sand. If you are using lump, temps can get out of control really fast, and hard to get back down.

I have never used sand but no longer use water either. Yes i do use the guru on some cooks but even when not using it i run the pan dry with just foil. This method works for me. Also you have the bonus of using less fuel that way. Of course this is JMO and your MMV.
icon_smile.gif

Back