Question for those buying fresh birds

I was mistaken and thought you had changed your post, sorry.

My problem is not liking it when anyone looks down their nose at me, or anyone else, for whatever I or they choose to eat, drink, buy, etc.
It smacks of a superiority complex.
I'm done here, respond at will, but I will not.

The original question was how long one should keep a bird in the fridge. I think that has been addressed with some difference of opinion. I am sorry you took umbrage at my comments. Since the question has been answered I guess we are done. It has been fun. It is really too bad that everyone takes everything so personally these days. <sigh?

Well reading what was posted after my initial question was interesting LOL. Going to stick to purchasing Tuesday morning and bring her home and drop her in the brine. Thanks for the responses.

Besides, what foodie would EVER buy a Butterball - frozen or not. Ugh.
Ha! I've bought the expensive, organic, range raised, massaged, mani-pedi, caviar fed birds and butterballs. I can tell you I couldn't tell the difference once I was done with them, and I do consider myself a foodie with a pretty decent palate. My guests couldn't tell the difference either (their palate is not as advanced as mine so I expect as much from these heathens LOL, kidding of course). Do I care if the bird is raised in a pen or in Malibu overlooking the ocean, not really . . . I'd rather spend the funds on good wine, which my heathen guests definitely appreciate. But to each his own.

I've been lucky enough to travel and eat at 2 and three star restaurants around the world so I consider my palate to be pretty decent. What bothers me about Butterball turkeys is their ingredient list: "Turkey, water, salt, sodium ascorbate, modified corn starch, natural flavour. Meat Protein 19%" WTH is "natural flavour" and why do you need to add it to a turkey?? Where is the butter in a Butterball? And I wonder how many folks know what water is on the ingredient list>

That all said I like your plan of grabbing one Tuesday. :)

Enjoy your dirty bird Larry!

somethings-up.jpg

I've been lucky enough to travel and eat at 2 and three star restaurants around the world so I consider my palate to be pretty decent. What bothers me about Butterball turkeys is their ingredient list: "Turkey, water, salt, sodium ascorbate, modified corn starch, natural flavour. Meat Protein 19%" WTH is "natural flavour" and why do you need to add it to a turkey?? Where is the butter in a Butterball? And I wonder how many folks know what water is on the ingredient list>

That all said I like your plan of grabbing one Tuesday. :)
Thanks for your concern, trust me, I put so much crap and chemicals in this body during college that a little sodium ascorbate and corn starch isn't going to harm me. Talk about a constitution LOL.

For kicks I thought I'd check the ingredients on the butterball I cooked and on a fresh butterball here's what they list, "Ingredients: Whole Young Turkey. Contains up to 4% of a solution of Water, Salt, and Spices to enhance tenderness and juiciness." The booze I'm drinking tonight is probably worse for me than these ingredients.

I'm pretty lucky too and have some pretty good Zagat and Michelin rated restaurants here in Vegas that I visit as well as visiting several in my travels on business/pleasure too.

Last edited:
But don't you wonder why a Butterball has no butter in it???
I could care less, just as I could care less that a tire company (Michelin) is associated with rating some of the best restaurants in the world or Virgin Atlantic has nothing to do with a Virgin flying me from A to B. I don't expect to go to a Michelin rated restaurant and get my tires rotated, that would be absurd.

There are many companies (including mine) that the company name has no direct tie to its products or services, or, it may have at one time but has since evolved. Example, Aydes; in the early 70s and 80s was a appetite-suppressant pill/company. As you can imagine, as AIDS came to the forefront of the general population suddenly no one wanted to be associated with a product called Aydes, even though you wouldn't contract AIDS from taking Aydes. Eventually, even though it was only a phonetic similarity the product was withdrawn from the market.

So to answer your question, do I care that a Butterball turkey doesn't list butter as an ingredient, not really.

Last edited:
Well this was informative! I can’t wait to sit down to my butter less, ball less, chemically enhanced butterball turkey along with the dressing which the bread has twelve ingredients I can’t even pronounce.
Along with the cancer causing fresh cranberry’s that were grown in a bog of polluted water.
The yams from Mexico which who knows what chemicals were used on those.
And oh my the fresh green beans were they genetically enhanced for longer shelf life.
Afterword’s a slice of homemade pumpkin pie, wonder what else was in that can besides pumpkin.
Plus the liver killing two martinis I’ll have before dinner and the glass of wine with dinner.
I just love the holidays with all the good food, how about you?

That's my guy, right to the point but after 30 some years of doing them we're still trying to get them right. We have 3 TB's in the freezer right now and there is only two of us!!!

Maybe.....just maybe Tom is onto something here.

I just went and threw this into the garbage

temporary_zpscd9a1ddf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Because I just noticed there is a chicken on the label not a turkey, it is probably not family owned and well if the turkey/chicken is dead well they didn't do a good job at "fostering".

This is on Thursday's menu now, it will probably fall off the damn roti.

temporary_zpsa3271f18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But than they say they are "family owned" also. :mad:

after reading (and re-reading a few assaults), I'm not quite sure what to do with the Frozen BUTTERlessBALLless turkey I bought on sale for New Years Day... :rolleyes:

Maybe.....just maybe Tom is onto something here.

I just went and threw this into the garbage

temporary_zpscd9a1ddf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wrap that sucker in duct tape that will keep from falling apart on the roti! Better stock up too because there is going to be a run on those suckers after everyone reads this tread!:p

Because I just noticed there is a chicken on the label not a turkey, it is probably not family owned and well if the turkey/chicken is dead well they didn't do a good job at "fostering".

This is on Thursday's menu now, it will probably fall off the damn roti.

temporary_zpsa3271f18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But than they say they are "family owned" also. :mad:

Wrap that sucker in duct tape that will keep it from falling off the roti! Better stock up too because there going to be a run on those suckers after everyone reads this tread!:p

Back