Question for Maverick users

Russ Harris

TVWBB Super Fan
I have used both the ET73 and the ET732 on my 18.5 inch WSM. My question is about smoker probe placement. I have always use the clip and put my probe in the center of the top grate. I know some guys like to drop it down through the top vent. I want to know what you guys think works best - preferably from some people who have done it both ways. I notice that when doing it my way, the dome therm is always much higher that what the maverick reads at first. Then about an hour or so into the cook they start to come closer together. Could it be that since my probe is right under the meat it may be reading wrong? Feel free to chime in - the more the merrier. Good smokin' to you all.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I was having the same problem. Meat was affecting the temp. Moved to the top vent, next to my ATC probe. I use the temp as a guide to know if it is stable or moving up or down.

Andy

I always clip my mav to the grate. But not below the food...next to it ontop of the grate. Never had that problem. But i have the 22" wsm and almost never fill one grate while smoking
icon_rolleyes.gif

I've found, as Andy said, cold meat will affect the 732 reading for awhile. Another thing that will affect it is water in the pan. Takes awhile for the water to come up to boiling.

So, I started putting the probe in the top vent about 3 inches then putting a slight bend in the probe wire to keep it in place. The vent temps give a real time total look at what's happening inside the WSM at any time. Kinda like an oven with the temp sensing bulb located at the top which most are.

Scotty W.

I installed the Guru eyelets on my 22" and normally hang my pit probe under the top grate towards the edge of the grate, but not outside the circumference of the water pan. I put it towards the edge to keep it out from under any dripping meat. I learned the hard way that dripping juices render it useless. I think the eyelets only work for the ET-73 which is the model I have. I find my Maverick temp always read lower than the dome temp doing it this way, but I personally always make vent decisions based on the dome temp. I guess I got a little leery of working from the Maverick after my drippings mishap but I'm sure there are many on here who use the grate temp to much success.

I used to keep the probe of my 732 clipped to the grate. However, now I find it easier to drop it through the top vent and just clip it in place with a wooden clothespin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Stapleton:
I used to keep the probe of my 732 clipped to the grate. However, now I find it easier to drop it through the top vent and just clip it in place with a wooden clothespin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clip it to what?

I started using my ET-73 probe at the grate but have moved to the vent for the reasons already mentioned.

A little off topic but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Does the new 18.5" have probe ports or do you have to install the Guru grommets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
A little off topic but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Does the new 18.5" have probe ports or do you have to install the Guru grommets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the new one and no, it does not have probe ports.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Stapleton:
I drop the probe through the top vent holes and clip the cable to the raised portion of the vent cover. Works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Derek,

If it's not too much to ask, could you post a photo of your probe setup so I could steal your idea and use it for myself. Thanks.

Will do ... I'll post on Saturday once I am back at the house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Derek.

Anyone thought of using a dremel and cutting a slit big enough for the probe wire so the lid does not sit on it? I saw this used on youtube somewhere. I did it on the kettle but not on the WSM (yet).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
I hang it so the entire probe is in meaning the first bit of wire is barely visible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the first bit of wire is visible on the INSIDE? And I assume you fasten the wire to the vent tab some kind of way?

My ET-73 has a braided cable. I just drop the solid part of the probe down the vent and the cable has enough friction to hold it in place.

Tim

No clip or anything Russ, like Timothy said, just drop it in thru the top, once you don't see any part of the probe thats it. HTH

Eric

Back