Question for a current smoke

Ray Foor

TVWBB Member
I am in the process of smoking 2 racks of baby backs. They have been on for 1.5 hours. What do y'all think about the 2-2-1 method? I haven't had any experience with BB, just spares? My wsm is running at about 220.

I am thinking that I will let em go another 30 minutes and wrap in foil with some brown sugar n honey.... let em cook another 2 hours and then checck for proper tenderness every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks Terry, I wrapped em at 2 hours. My temp is a little lower than yours, I may go for two more hours and see where we're at. As long as the packers win tonight it gonna be all good. Terry, do you put anything in the foil with the ribs?

Thanks fellas, do you think with the temp difference of 50 degrees I will be doing ok with 2-2-?. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I wish it was Peterson, I think he's our big worry. Still confident in my Packers to bring home the win. Tim, die hard Cub fan also. Hoping we turn it around in the next 2-3 years.

Ray, just my humble opinion, and it may be too late, but I wouldnt go 2 hours in foil, even at 225. I think they will get a little soft. I would probably do 1.5 or so and then put them back without foil and check after an hour. 'Course, the good thing is there is no set way. I seem to have better luck with baby backs then St. Louis, but then I do them more often. Let us know how they turn out

I did 2 racks of baby backs today, pics in "Photo Gallery".

I cooked them at 275F for 2 hours unfoiled. I then foiled them, with honey, brown sugar and squeeze butter, cooked until toothpick tender, about another 1 1/2 hours.

At 220F you will have to cook them longer than 3 1/2 hours.

Bob

Last edited:
The baby backs ended up cooking for about 5 and half hours. They tasted great. I've always preferred spares but these tasted so good I may have to reevaluate. :)

My first go at baby backs was the 2-2-1 method at 225 degrees. After scouring the forum after the cook, I came to the conclusion 275 degrees was a 'better' temperature. I've had better results using a 2-1.5-.5 with the higher temps.

I'm usually a spares man myself, but I think some babybacks are in my near future. Glad to hear it all went as planned for you.

Back