question... again

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Bought a pork shoulder in I would say a bit of a hurry at a Local store instead of my usual butcher place. about 8.7 or somethin pds. Wondering if it is ussual to have "enhanced with 12% solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphates for tenderness" on the label. Never actually paid attention before, but never actually bought any kind of pork besides a few ribs from local markets. (City Market, Safeway, etc.) Probably missed a similar discussion on here I'm guessing but thanks for the help. Wasn't bothered actually to much until I searched the word "sodium phospates", a lot of "Danger" this and that popped up... try it. lol. thank you

actually when i googled accedently pressed the recommended search of "danger" never mind all that, but still found some other stuff to read, doesn't sound so bad... is this the type of additives that get negative vibes though or is that something else in different kinds of meat or... thanks

'Enhanced' pork is fairly common. Most of us here try to avoid it. It can end up 'hammy', especially after rubbing, can end up salty, etc. It is essentially brined pork plus phosphates which are used to facilitate retention of the water pumped into the flesh (so you are paying $/lb for water too). With adjustments it can be fine but I can't stand the stuff, especially in principle.

i appologize i just finished the "enhanced meat" section on this forum. looked once and missed it. i'm fairly slow. I totally understand now and i'm guessing i'm going to agree with you. i'm cooking my first "enhanced pork" right now, but it's half for my good old granny cause she loves pork. since i'm making it she'll love it no matter what. haha thanks.

No need to apologize at all. It takes a while to learn the search possibilities on the board (and though Search works better than it use to, it still isn't great).

The pork will likely be fine, or fine enough. A lot comes down to how soon you rub (the more time that rub is on the pork--like all day or overnight or longer--the more the taste is affected. Problems can occur if lots of sugar is used in the rub and a fair amount was in the pump and/or if the salt concentration was fairly high (especially if the rub was salty). If the pork is low/slowed, sometimes there are complaints of textural issues with pumped meats. But rarely does the meat require tossing in the garbage or the like.

Enjoy your cook.

Dan,

the solution is not a problem. It seems like every time i get a pork butt it has been soaked in solution. It still seems to turn out perfectly every time.

today's pork is super lean compared to twenty or thrity years ago. Being lean it drys out rather quickly during cooking. Particularly at high temptures. Most of us have a tend to over cook pork which dries it out and makes it tough. As stated in a previous post the salt and phosphates are to hold water. You shouldn't be able to tell any difference in the taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by don:
today's pork is super lean compared to twenty or thrity years ago. Being lean it drys out rather quickly during cooking. Particularly at high temptures. Most of us have a tend to over cook pork which dries it out and makes it tough. As stated in a previous post the salt and phosphates are to hold water. You shouldn't be able to tell any difference in the taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Back