Question about smoking a pork loin

Chris from OHIO

TVWBB Member
I have a boneless pork loin that is 'enhanced with a 12% solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphate' and I would like to smoke it. I assume I should not brine this as it already has been . Can you give me a quick rundown of what I should do to it before I cook it? And with pork loin, what should I achieve as an internal temp before I am done cooking?

Thanks

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris from OHIO:
I have a boneless pork loin that is 'enhanced with a 12% solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphate' and I would like to smoke it. I assume I should not brine this as it already has been . Can you give me a quick rundown of what I should do to it before I cook it? And with pork loin, what should I achieve as an internal temp before I am done cooking?

Thanks

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Season to your taste, minus alot of salt..... a little is okay, but the meat already has a good amount of salt due to being enhanced. Smoke or grill (either will work) until you get to 155º-160º, let cool 15-20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

I've worked with a few folks over the years that describe putting a pork loin into a crock pot for a long time and the call it "pulled pork". As best I can tell, what they have is a loin that's been cooked so long it is falling apart. Has anyone ever done this or seen it done?

Relevance to the wsm and smoking is that I'm of the opinion if I can do it in a crock pot, I can do it in a wsm.

I buy ones that have like garlic or something else on them and just throw then in the smoker. Made them for thanksgiving last year and they were super.

I have never heard of people putting loin in crock pots, but that just sounds so wrong to me. Give those folks some of the one you smoked and they might want the link to buy a wsm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they have is a loin that's been cooked so long it is falling apart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, a loin won't do that. There's very little fat in a loin and that particular cut would only become 'firmer' or worse the longer you cook it. A butt would break down with extended cooking.

Paul

Since the meat is already injected, there is no benefit to brining it. Pablo at the processing plant has already done that with his pneumantic needles.

Season/rub the lin as fits your tastes then smoke (high or low, your choice) to around 140 internal. Carryover will add a few more degrees before it peaks then drops. The center of the meat will still be slightly pink but perfectly safe to eat and juicy even if it wasn't bionic.

If you have a whole loin, cut it into three or four chunks. Cook what you think you'll need for dinner now and wrap and save the rest to cook later. Or, do the Pepis challenge and cook them all at once, trying a variety of rubs/seasonings on each.

Stogie has a Porketta recipe that braises pork loin in a foil pouch until it falls apart and it is delicious! I need to dig that out again.

Finally, get in the habit of reading the fine print on labels when you buy meat, unless you actually enjoy paying premium prices for salt water.

HTH

Back