Question about Sams Ribs

Mike U

TVWBB Member
I had a question about the spares & loinbacks I saw at Sam's this weekend. The loins were IBP and said Pork Loin Back Ribs Bone in Cov. - pretty straight forward here, although I'm not sure about the Bone in Cov. part.

I couldn't figure out who packed the spares but they said Pork Sapre Ribs Cov Brisket Bone off. -What the heck are these, and how do I get them to a St. Louis cut?

Also, has anyone had bad experience with enhanced ribs from Sams? I bought some Cryo packed ribs from Costco a year or so ago and they were the worst ribs I ever tasted - an overwhelming 'hammy' taste to them.

Ever since I've always got my ribs from a butcher but prices at Sams got me curious again. 2.27/lb for the spares, 3.67/lb for the loins here in Naperville, IL.

Thanks,
Mike

The ribs at Sam's are not enhanced. "Bone in" = "bone-in" (What true ribs aren't?). "COV" = Cry O Vac. There is a good article on the website proper on trimming spares to St. Louis-- with pictures, and video!

Spare Rib Preparation

I"ve had good success with ribs from Sam's. I don't believe they are enhanced in any way. You should ask the butcher what the abbreviations mean. I can't recall seeing those on mine.

Also, you might want to try Westbrook market in Westmont (63rd and Cass). They have a nice meat section with great prices. I believe spares are 1.69 per pound this weekend.

As for trimming them to make St. Louis, I trim them after cooking, but that's me. Others trim them before. Go to the main website and see how Chris trimmed them. Very good description. Link to Chris' spare ribs...

I have a client (I am a mortgage broker) who is the butcher at our local Sam's Club. According to him, their meat is NOT enhanced.

For what it's worth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"COV" = Cry O Vac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doh!!

Thanks for all the help. I think I was thrown off by the "Brisket Bone off" thing on the spares.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Morrell:
I have a client who is the butcher at our local Sam's Club. According to him, their meat is NOT enhanced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beef and pork, no-- but the chicken, yes.

Back