Question about Nomex gaskets and the silicone.

Jacob Samarin

TVWBB Member
Hey guys I have a few questions about this gasket and the silicone.It states in the instructions that the silicone is rate between 550-650 degrees and the gasket is at 800.
Now I put some of the silicone and gasket on on the base but I would think seeing as that is so close to the fire that if you take your WSM up to say 350 at the top thermomotor wouldnt it actually be hotter than 550 at the base?
And if so what happens if you get that silicone to hot?Does it start to melt or gas off?(Or both?)
I would not think that would be very good for your food.
I dont know,maybe I am over thinking it,you guys let me know.

I just finished installed Nomex gaskets in my WSM using the newer RTV silicone. Although I did not measure the actual temps at the base, I don't think it is an issue. On my test burns, I felt the exposed silicon that were out the sides of the gaskets and the silicon remains solid and did not feel as if it were affected by the high temp.

I was not able to remount the middle section to the base with the gasket placed inside the top of the base per the instructions. Instead, based on recommendations from another TVWBB member, I placed the gasket directly under the rib on the bottom of the middle section. It now sits perfectly and seals 100%. You can see how it is mounted and how it seals in the pictures below.

IMAG1175_zps27c3364f.jpg

IMAG1178_zps02e47acf.jpg

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info.I wish I would have but my gasket on the bottom the way you did but oh well.Although I have not done my door yet and I see how you squared off the edges instead of trying to make it round,good idea!I think I will do the same. :)

Don: What did you use for the knob on your door?

I am assuming you are asking, why the round knob. That is the original knob that came on the older WSMs. The new lever is a great improvement because with the round one it doesn't give you a visual indicator that you have the door properly closed. Believe me, there is no worse feeling than having your thermometer alert you in the middle of the night that the temps are going through the roof and heading outside to find your door laying on the ground next your smoker because it was not properly latched....been there, done that, definitely got the t-shirt! :rolleyes:

Got it. I have one of the newer knobs. Horribly made, and already fell apart on me (after having had the smoker only a few months). I was hoping you had come up with a new or better solution. Thanks!

I used a sharpie and marked my round door knob so I know which direction is closed. I believe this was an idea from someone else here.

Back