question about bb racks cut in half....

Gordon LW

TVWBB Member
I always buy full racks not the cut up sections. at sams today they had some cut up reduced for quick sale for $3 a pound so i bought a pack. it's just one 3 pound rack cut in half.

is the smoke time about the same as if it were a whole rack? I usually do about 5-6 hours for bb's. I like to peak and spritz with apple juice every hour or so so they tend to be closer to the 6 hour mark. using a 18 WSM if it matters.

I usually do the bend/tear test to see if they are done. not sure a half rack will work that way.

Never seen a difference cooking half racks. I wouldn't expect to as they are of the same thickness, regardless.

Not a fan of bending or tearing. A probe inserted between the bones will go in effortlessly when the ribs are tender.

I cut racks in half sometimes to pack the smoker full using rib racks.

I do not notice anything different than when cooking whole. In fact I sometimes end up with two whole racks in the middle of a rib rack and a third cut in two on the ends of the rib rack where the working width of the smoker is smaller. They are done at the same time as the whole racks.

When I do loin backs, I usually do two racks and actually prefer cutting them in half. That way I can put both halves in the center of a rack, and prevent the smaller parts at the end of each rack from getting overdone. If anything, my best ribs have been when I cut the racks in half.

Back