Q220 issue

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone ever have problems with their Q220 not getting hot enough? With mine, it sometimes seems really his or miss for it getting hot, and it seems to miss more often than not. I've taken it apart, scrubbed and cleaned the burner with my air compressor, and checked the regulator. The times when I connected my 20 lb. tank to it seemed worse. Any thoughts?

I've not had a problem with it getting hot enough. I do think it takes much longer to get up to searing temperatures than my Q320 or my Genesis, but it gets there - eventually. That being said, I do most of my cooking on the Q220 at between 350 and 400 and it will get there pretty easily given about a 10 minute warm up.

Keep a close eye on where the Q220 is positioned if there is any noticeable wind. If the wind comes across the grill from one side to the other, it can really cut down the ambient temperature inside the dome.

When using the tank, I turn the tank valve slowly and give it about 20 - 30 seconds before I light the grill to make sure the line from the tank to the regulator is fully pressurized.

All that being said, if the problem is really persistent, you might try replacing the regulator. They aren't particularly expensive - I keep a spare just in case.

Pat

mine was starting to fall off and i found that a lot of the burner holes were plugged up or partially plugged. you need to get yerself a very small drill bit snd clean out the holes. it made a big differance on mine. i get to 500 in 10 minutes. i also turn off the gas at the grill and then the tank. this seems to help with the problem of the tank giving problems. i still open the tank slowly and wait at least several minutes. so far so good.

I had some holes plugged on mine as well. couldn't find a drill bit that small but I did find some tip cleaners for a torch that really worked great. Wind, I have found out, plays a huge part in heat control. Probably a law of physics in there somewhere.

yea, i had a run in wth wind one time. i put one side to the wind and then just cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the handle between it and the grill so it blocked the side part. worked great as the temps climbed right back up. i mentioned this issue over a year ago.

Hy, this is somewhat a common problem with the Q200 wich is maybe greater with Q220 since it has bigger dome. I have grilled on all three Qs and it is obvious the Q200 should have a more efficient burner or two of them. The compromise in size is a great but the burners on Q100 and Q300 just realy give you more firepower. I can grill in 0 degrees Celzious even with some wind on Q100 and Q300 when it becomes a problem on Q200. So as previous members said try to prevent the wind cooling it down.

Good grillin'

Peter

Steven, I can't really speak from a lot of experience, as I just purchased my Q 200 (off CL) 2 weeks ago. I knew I needed to clean it up, but I wanted to see what I was working with so I fired it up as soon as I got it home. It was hard to start, and the wind really seemed to affect the burner while the lid was up. I took the burner off, and cleaned each hole several times with a safety pin. (including the holes near the ignition) It now lights on the first try, and the flames are a lot more even throughout the burner, but again I noticed that with the lid up, wind really affects the burner.(but once the grate was in position, and the lid was closed it seemed to heat up nicely)I guess (position to the wind) is something I will need to be aware of in the future.
Tim

If a Q doesn't get hot clean the metal perforated gasket near the gas regulator most of the time it's dirty from fett and spiderwebs etc clean it with some water.

I'm thinking it has more to do with the outdoor temp. Bottle gas pressure is directly proportional to ambient temp. Try warming the cylinder just in the house (approx. 70* F etc. Never add a direct heat source to it.

Just my .02.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick Zwolle:
If a Q doesn't get hot clean the metal perforated gasket near the gas regulator most of the time it's dirty from fett and spiderwebs etc clean it with some water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try that. I might visit Salzburg next month. Heard its a beautiful city.f

All of the above is good advice on cleaning the Q220. Remember, it is only 12,000 BTU's. That is not a lot! I have problems when I refill my small canisters. I get better results from a large bottle or the hose that hooks it to my motor home. I think it has to do with gas pressure, but not sure. I should probably call Weber and ask...

even when its 40 deg or so outside mine gets to 500 deg in about 10-15 minutes. i think its really important to keep the burner holes clean. i strongly recommend using a drill bit or a welders tip cleaner. just poking something in the hole is not really cleaning it.

I've tried different types of gas. I've cleaned the holes. Still hit or miss. Once in a while, it will hit 500 degrees pretty quickly. My guess is that a new regulator in in order. I'll just have to order one before the camping season begins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven A.:
I've tried different types of gas. I've cleaned the holes. Still hit or miss. Once in a while, it will hit 500 degrees pretty quickly. My guess is that a new regulator in in order. I'll just have to order one before the camping season begins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Got to be the regulator or a restriction in the screen before.

I didnt see a screen by the regulator
icon_frown.gif

I replaced the regulator and burner tube for about forty bucks on my Q220. When you order the regulator from Weber make sure that you give them he serial number of the grill.

Back