q mods

as to the grates, they say they are porcelain coated but i think they use that term loosely. i just keep mine well scrubbed and oiled at all times. i will spray them with pam before and after a cook. little to no rust. suggest you take a wire wheel to them and then season them. or talk to weber and see what they say.

Why is this not recommended? I am to the point of replacing my grates on my Q300 because they are so rusted and dirty...no amount of brushing can get them clean. I am not a big fan of these grates. Should I not consider seasoning them?

Read again. I said that I noticed a lot of previous posts stating it was not necessary, but just like my supposed pre-seasoned Lodge stuff, I learned quickly, it helps tremendously to season ALL iron cookware and grates multiple times, even those claimed to be pre-seasoned. I did my Q320 grates 3 times before the first use and after a dozen cooks, it still looks new. I'll probably reseason it a few more times before the next cook, to keep a thick coating. I highly recommend this!

Bob, just to be sure, you painted over the original weber paint? I really love the look of the black, and as mentioned earlier, the off white (original) paint by Weber seems to show stains easily.
Thanks, Tim

Bob, just to be sure, you painted over the original weber paint? I really love the look of the black, and as mentioned earlier, the off white (original) paint by Weber seems to show stains easily.
Thanks, Tim

Tim, Yes, I painted over the original paint. Just make sure it is clean. I gave it 3 heavy coats and have had no problems. Thanks for the compliments also.

I took Bob's lead and finished painting both of my Q's yesterday. 3 coats on each lid and regulator cover. Came out very nice...

IMAG0471.jpg

I have had my Q100 for some time now and the lid has started showing brown spots.I really liked the painted lids and thermometer you feelas are doing.Well I went to Lowes and got some Rustoleum 1200 degree high temp paint and ordered a Weber thermometer from Amazon.I drilled the hole for the therm and cleaned the lid with laquer thinner cleaner.I painted the lid and it was flat paint ...a no no for grills in my opnion.I went back to Lowes and got Rustoleum Ultra 1200 degree high heat the ultra is a semigloss.I clean the flat paint and repainted with semigloss....It looks like a factory job.So if you want a good paint job be sure you get semigloss paint.
I would post a picture,but it looks exactly like the ones already posted.

Im new on q foreum i have an excellent older q100 im in process in painting and installing a thermo, i sent george a message, dont know if he still on here.i like to know what thermo i can attached on the lid. Mine has the slight curve lid.what thermo or attachedment need. Also there is a few diff model thermo, is there any particular model thermo number i may need? Anyone can help i appreciate it.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry, I don't think there is any one particular thermometer being used. I just make sure it has the temp range you are looking for, and the rest is up to your personal preference. I will offer this piece of advice, I would stick with a thermometer with around a 2" shaft. You don't want the shaft so long that it could possibly hinder your food placement on the Q.
Good luck and let us know/see how your Q-100 turns out!
Tim

Jerry, I don't think there is any one particular thermometer being used. I just make sure it has the temp range you are looking for, and the rest is up to your personal preference. I will offer this piece of advice, I would stick with a thermometer with around a 2" shaft. You don't want the shaft so long that it could possibly hinder your food placement on the Q.
Good luck and let us know/see how your Q-100 turns out!
Tim

Thanks tim K I went an ordered the thermo from amazon got it in 2 days:) i have Prime on amazon. I wanted to get red for the Top lid. Lowes and home Depot they only have Black and white and clear. I found online a place thats sells colors for Rustoleum HH 1200 deg. price was about 3 bucks less then HD and Lowes, I bought 3 cans . Only problem i can't do any painting till weather warms up here in New York, i had couple days of 60 deg but rain and cooler below 60 deg next few days. I hopping for at least 1 day of over 60deg and ill give it a shot :)
Soon as i can ill send some pic here
jerry

I hate my "Big Q" the vents dump all over the side tables, they're always a mess. But I have to say, seeing some these painted black gives me an ideal. Might not hate them as much if they were solid black. Or maybe solid red....Hmmmmmmm

3A251790-CF3C-4BF1-AFED-C637082ABF7B_zpssbt20qss.jpg

Chuck if you look for colors i have the online link that sells high heat to 500deg and also which i bought 2000 deg Rust-0leum The red looks like a lighter red not deep. they also have few other colors

jerry

100_0398_zps8c044ae8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finished product Painted and then installed the Thermoeter, took while as i used 8 bits making hole bigger as i got to 3/8hole. Then added RV high heat tube in back of the meter ,in front then inside around the hole and threaded the nut .Perfect seal. Just heated up the unit this morning and was great.Added a New Igniter as well .Thanks to all on here for their advice and and this Thread especially

jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

Back