Pulled Pork Ideas

TDPurcell

Does any one have any ideas (or is there a thread on this forum that covers ideas) for using pulled pork, other than sandwhiches? There are plenty of recipes here for creating pulled pork, but I'm looking for ideas on what all can be done with the smoked meat after it's cooked, e.g., soups, pastas, casseroles ??? I love pork BBQ sandwiches, but I'm looking to expand my horizons with new ideas.

I don't know if there is a central location, but the idea has certainly been discussed here. Personally, I have done the following (in addition to BBQ sandwiches) with my pulled pork:

1) Used it as "carnitas" in burritos, quesadillas and tacos. It goes great with cheese, salsa, jalapenos and other mexican flavors.

2) Made chili. I've made Chile Verde (Green Chili) with it, which is the more traditional chili for pork. But I've also used it in a red chili along with some other meats and it was great.

3) Grilled Cheese and Pork. Basically a grilled cheese with pork on it as well. I think I might have gotten the idea for that on this site, in fact.

4) Bahn Mi (Vietnamese sandwich). I've grown to love vietnamese food over the past couple of years and one of my favorites is Bahn Mi. I put some pulled pork, jalapenos, basil, cilantro, daikon/carrot slaw, onions and a bit of a mayo/siracha(sp?) mix on a french baguette. Oh man is that good.

You can use Pulled Pork In:

Atomic Bull Turds
Atomic Panda Turds
Egg Rolls
Armadillo Eggs
Wrap it up in a rolled out loaf of Pillsbury French Bread Dough and bake
Chilli
Burritos
Tacos
Pizza topping
Spaghetti sauce

Use you imagination the list can be endless

I've used pulled pork to build relationships with the neighbours
icon_biggrin.gif

...and use leftovers for a REALLY loaded potato.

Use what you normally would: butter, sour cream, cheese, and add the 'Q and some sauce...VERY easy, and very tasty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
My wife is an excellent cook, sometimes with extra pulled pork she makes Tortilla Soup ... adds a nice smokey background flavor
icon_razz.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like has already been mentioned NACHOS! Probably my favorite thing to do with PP.

Pizza is another great option.

TAMALES!

I cut back on the amount of chili powder when I used pulled pork so it doesn't overpower the smoked flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pillows!!!???.......THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dwayne, I finally got your tag line. Hadn't seen Planes Trains and Automobiles for about 15-20 years. It all came back to me the other day when I saw a clip.

Oh, and pulled pork is nice in soups.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pillows!!!???.......THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...I've been wondering what that was all about. I don't remember the scene. Will have to rent the dvd...
icon_wink.gif

Oh, and I vote for nachos and mutant spagetti.

If you are open to the idea of pork/sausage in chili, add some to your next batch. Normally if we are going to vacuum seal after a cook, I'll partially pull a portion of the butt to keep it in a little larger chunks, and then toss some in during the last 30 minutes of the chili cook.

The smokiness really adds another depth of the flavor on the chili. Although I'm normally a beef kinda guy with chili, and I still don't believe there is a substitute for using chopped brisket point in chili, pork is a good second best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TDPurcell:
Has anyone here ever made ravioli with smoked pork as part of the filling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. I have made a tomatillo sauce, soak the pork in it and make this the filling for the ravioli. Topped with a cheese sauce.

Clark

Back