Pulled pork finish/soaking sauce?

Mark Pepelea

TVWBB Fan
Hi Folks, Here is my request.

Sometimes I cook for groups from 30 - 100 (charity, friend's parties, not official catering). I cook pulled pork and brisket and keep it warm in those electric turkey cookers. I have a nice beef broth based soak for brisket so that it does not dry out, but I don't have anything real good for pork.

I know I could use diluted sauce (and have), but I really don't want to soak the pork in sauce. Any ideas of what I could use to keep the pork moist? I appreciate any suggestions. Regards.

I use this, a couple T or so per large handful of pulled pork. Not using much and that the sauce has complementary flavors to a wide variety of sauces means whatever sauce(s) you're serving on the pork or on the side will work fine.

If you're holding for a while, cut the oil back a bit.

The mustard will help the sauce emuslsify for a while (I put it in wine bottles when I make it and shake well before using). Emulsification will help it cling to the meat and will carry flavors better. Sauces like this even out flavors and textures very well. (Steve's 'Number 5' sauce would be another that would work in this way.)

I don't recommend using lots of finishing sauce. Drying out comes from overcooking--either while the pork cooks or when it's reheated, something often overlooked. Reheating liquids need not boil--and shouldn't, in fact, in most cases. Reheat to a pre-simmer--somewhere between 150 and 160. For brisket I much prefer no higher than 150. This also avoids 'reheated flavors'.

Thanks much Kevin.

I was hoping you would have a suggestion. I do try to keep the temp about 155 for holding. I think I will mix up a batch of your recommended sauce his weekend.
I am familiar with Steve's No. 5 sauce and was thinking about that as well.

I think part of my problem at the large gatherings has been other volunteers who help serve might be messing with the heat. Things seem to have held up better at small gatherings where just I am serving.

Thanks again, Mark

Time and time again I have seen that happen. People seem to think boiling/scalding/whatever is what they want--and what they try to maintain. On the occasions that I have help or leave instructions I make a separate statement--all caps and large font: DO NOT OVERHEAT. MAINTAIN X-Y DEGREES AND NO HIGHER!

That actually works pretty well I've found!

Back