TVWBB Super Fan
8lbs. Cut in two. 60 40. Bone-in.
Probably will wrap.
4:00-4:30 meal start.
About two hour travel.
6:00am to 2:00-2:30pm
275⁰ to 325⁰

No?
I ask cause lately my Pork Shoulder has been taking longer and longer.

I'd smoke for two hours then ramp the heat up to 350

Here's mine last weekend.

Thanks! I had also read that post before. Good advice. After cooking so many, I should have this down pat by now. Usually no problem. Just lately they have been taking longer. Wanted to reconfirm time and temperature expectations.

Started at 5:15. 275⁰. Will start raising temp soon. 200, 325, then maybe 350-375 if necessary. Plenty of time right now.

Last edited:
If my thermometer is remotely accurate... 160s. I still have a lot of clock time left. Be ready too soon. Of course it is cooking on schedule now that you guys are watching.

Start around 5:16, 9:31 at 160⁰s. 2:00-2:30 pack out time. 4:30 early bird special. Grazing until midnight or so.

Attachments

• 20240120_093108.jpg
    20240120_093108.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240120_052220.jpg
    20240120_052220.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 13
May cover, or just let ride. How long can I let rest in the cooler?
2-4 hours? Six?
Should be okay. If done early, noon, it can rest until travel and arrival, 4 hours.
So far so good.

Last edited:
May cover, or just let ride. How long can I let rest in the cooler?
2-4 hours? Six?
Should be okay. If done early, noon, it can rest until travel and arrival, 4 hours.
So far so good.
2-4 hrs is fine. Just make sure that it's a well-insulated cooler, (can cover everything with towels), and as long as the internal temp is above 140, you're gold.

The pot stickers were a no-show. 9 adults. Large leftover doggie containers. Long drive home, with a drop-off stop. I need to get some sleep.
Thank You!

Waiting for the next thermo sale. I really need new thermometers.

Ps. Sure everyone here knows this when you are.the cook, you barely get a chance to eat. Or sleep.

Good thermometers are an absolute necessity and get 2 more than you think you need, one can go bad at the worst possible moment! Don’t ask! I think I have seven or eight just because of a couple of “sales” and my wish list.
That looks like a nice feast! And yes, “those who cook, rarely rest!”

Good thermometers are an absolute necessity and get 2 more than you think you need, one can go bad at the worst possible moment! Don’t ask! I think I have seven or eight just because of a couple of “sales” and my wish list.
That looks like a nice feast! And yes, “those who cook, rarely rest!”
Can't have enough!

Ps. Sure everyone here knows this when you are.the cook, you barely get a chance to eat. Or sleep.
It can be stressful for sure, but it looks like you delivered some outstanding food! Wrap yourself in a beach towel, bury yourself in a cooler, and get some rest our friend.

Last edited:
None of my grills have dome thermometers (aside from the platypus) so i should amend my statement, for smoking I use a two probe remote system and it’s worth my weight in gold! Instant reads are very helpful and critical for keeping things “safe” my hands on approach for things in the grill proper has almost always been spot on, I’ve missed a couple of times but, wins are greater than losses I use an instant read for final checking of larger cuts, loin roasts, standing rib roasts, but, my mental clock has proven very accurate for over 40 years. You have to have a failure once in a while to keep you humble.

Back