ProQ Cold Smoke Generator

Here's another question. I'm sure it's a dumb one but hey, nobody never confused me with Einstein. If I wanted to do lets say shrimp or trout, it can't be put on the cooker raw right? Should it be cooked first then smoked? Or is curing it the same as cooking it? Sorry, I don't know the first thing about cold smoking except when I was a kid standing outside in the winter having a cigarette.

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Here's another question. I'm sure it's a dumb one but hey, nobody never confused me with Einstein. If I wanted to do lets say shrimp or trout, it can't be put on the cooker raw right? Should it be cooked first then smoked? Or is curing it the same as cooking it? Sorry, I don't know the first thing about cold smoking except when I was a kid standing outside in the winter having a cigarette.
Dave there's no such thing as a dumb question.
Some foods can be cold smoked then eaten without any further processing and some foods will require cooking, once they have been cold smoked. Cold smoking, in conjuction with with brining, not only helps to cure the meat, but also adds flavour.

Is there a US retailer for the ProQ? My search has proven futile. Although I've been successful cold smoking with just a tiny fire, this does seem like it has potential for a lot less tending to.

Just got my pro q cold smoke generator! I cured the salmon last night and put it on the smoker this morning... should be ready this evening. Has anyone bought replacement smoking dust? I saw the dust on smokingliscous, but didnt see what quantity was in the bag. Anyone bought any from them? Any other sources for smoking dust in the US that will work with the pro q? Thanks for the help... didnt have my camera for this one but will definitly post pics of my next cold smoke!

Joe,

I bought dust for my CSG at PS Seasonings.

Be aware that you get a lot of sawdust for the money. Five pounds of sawdust comes in a 2 gallon ziplock. The PS Seasonings' dust works fine in the CSG. This is my Blackstrap Molasses Country Ham after more than 24 hours of cold smoking.

img0030edited.jpg

Jim

Thanks, just placed an order for cherry and mixed, may as well stock up! Did you use the pro q for that country ham? It looks great, Id love to try it. I guess you would just re set the csg? Since you arent worried about losing heat, it should work, right?

Originally posted by Joe Lanier:
Thanks, just placed an order for cherry and mixed, may as well stock up! Did you use the pro q for that country ham? It looks great, Id love to try it. I guess you would just re set the csg? Since you arent worried about losing heat, it should work, right?
Yeah, I used the ProQ for the ham. When it ran out of fuel, I just reloaded. It was below freezing when I smoked it so I added a light bulb to my smoker to provide heat.

Jim

jeff, looks great, I went and ordered one a while back, I smoked a bunch of cheese. it is wrapped up and doing it 10 day rest to mellow. did you look at smokinlicious.com at the wood dust. it works great. the smoker only went up 1 degree during the two batches of 2 hour smokes.

I looked there but wasnt sure about the size of the package. For $10 I wanted to make sure it was enough to do several cookings. Also, is that dust flavored? Reading the names, it seems like they add flavoring to the wood dust. If that is the case, I may order some and add it to some of the dust I have ordered. I did some cheese today for 2 hours today, tasted good, but Im letting it rest in the fridge until tomorrow. I will let some of it age 10 days as well if that will help. Thanks for all of the advice. Looking forward to doing some more cold smoking.

Do yall have a good recipe for salmon? I placed mine in kosher salt and raw sugar for 10 hours and then smoked for 6 hours. I was pleased with the results, but am always up for suggestions. Thanks again for the help and advice.

joe, the dust must be flavored, because it smells really good (stong). it is 6 cups of dust. two hours burns about 2 1/2 sides of the pro Q generator, I ordered two apple, two cherry, you can stick two of those bags of dust in a 1 gallon zip lock bag (sideways) the dust is really fine. and smokes real easy.

I just recieved my Pro Q smoke generator today. I was wondering what flavor sawdust to order. I have been looking at PS Seasonings and have decided the apple and the standard would work. Will be doing cheese most of the time. I will use alder for fish. Any suggestions help on using this device would be appreciated

Is the candle used just to start the dust smoldering? Surely that thing doesn't last 8 hours?

If you replenish dust for the 24hr ham smoke for instance, do you fill the maze back up and start over.

I'm very interested in this. I love smoked salmon and hate paying so much for it.

Chris, The candle is just to get the dust going, takes about 30 seconds. Once the dust is smoldering the candle is removed.
I constantly get 10 hours on a single load of dust (about 100g), if I'm doing longer smokes, just re-fill and start again.

WOW, why haven't I seen this great product earlier. The price is U.S. $33 plus free shipping and no tax. Seems very reasonable. Might get this after the summer is over to do some cold smoking of cheeses and salmon.

I have waited too long to smoke my next batch of smoked Cheddar and now its almost 90 degree every day here in Florida, but I'm really Jonesing for some cheese.

If I was to fill my water pan with ice cubes do you think that I could successfully smoke some cheese and not have it melt away from the heat in the WSM?

Back