Prime Rib and Cheesecloth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I have a question about the Prime Rib recipe in the Let's Cook section of the VWB.

My question is about the cheesecloth. I used the recipe last year, and the cheesecloth stuck to the herb paste and the crust on the roast when I was removing it. It looked like the cheesecloth had been absorbed slightly into the roast. Even though I removed it as gently as I could, a lot of the herb paste and crust stuck to the cheesecloth, and in the worst sections I wound up with the crust pulling off entirely with the cheesecloth. Most of the roast looked like a waffle; the herb paste and crust pulled off where the cheesecloth was touching it.

(The pictures of the roast on the recipe page don't seem to be missing any of the crust; it looks wonderful.)

The roast was a hit with the family in spite of this problem, and I'm thinking about trying it again. Any suggestions on how to avoid having the cheesecloth stick this time?

I don't think the cheesecloth is necessary in this recipe. Just add a little olive oil (and maybe a shot of red wine or red wine vinegar) to form a thick moist paste with the herbs and spices. That should stick just fine to the roast on the cooker.

If you want, you can whiz the herbs in the food processor, along with enough olive oil to form a very thick smooth paste, sort of like a pesto "smoothie". The oil is the glue that binds it all together. Adjust the thickness of the paste with a little water, if necessary.

That's the way I prepare a South American Chimichuri sauce/marinade for steaks. That is pretty much the same deal, except that it uses fresh parsley for the "green leafy stuff" instead of the herb mix.

There are some fine-weave cheesecloths available from cooking supply outlets like www.fantes.com that will probably stick less than the coarse grocery-store grade. But, I don't think it's necessary on a prime rib.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Vrobel:
[qb]Any suggestions on how to avoid having the cheesecloth stick this time?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the cheesecloth only because it was suggested in several other recipes I read. I assumed it was to keep the paste in place and keep the surface from getting overcooked. It worked OK for me, as you can see in the pics, but Webb may be right--perhaps you don't need to use it.

I did not use any special cheesecloth, just the ordinary grocery store type, and I didn't do anything special to keep it from sticking.

Regards,
Chris

We cook Prime Rib every Xmas and tend to use different rubs/pastes. I have never needed to use a cheesecloth either. However, I do see them suggested in many recipes.

I say skip it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back