practice turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Bond

TVWBB Member
Tomorrow I will be smoking a 4.7 lb. turkey breast. It is flavor inhanced and thawing out now. Any suggestions for a rub? I will be using a small amount of apple for the smoke. I plan on cooking at a low temp since this bird weighs only 4.7 lb. Thanks in advance for any help. Of course I will have pictures tomorrow.

dude...

i did 3 turkey breasts last sunday........... used regular store bought creole seasoing and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!

Creole can be a person, but in this context it's a spicy cooking style associated with Louisiana. Most grocery stores carry creole seasonings, two common brands are Konriko and Tony Chachere's.

Regards,
Chris

"Always a controversial and confusing term, the word Creole, to put it simply, means many things to many people. It derives from the Latin creare, meaning "to beget" or "create." After the New World?s discovery, Portuguese colonists used the word crioulo to denote a New World slave of African descent. Eventually, the word was applied to all New World colonists, regardless of ethnic origin, living along the Gulf Coast, especially in Louisiana. There the Spanish introduced the word as criollo, and during Louisiana?s colonial period (1699-1803) the evolving word Creole generally referred to persons of African or European heritage born in the New World. By the nineteenth century, black, white, and mixed-race Louisianians used the term to distinguish themselves from foreign-born and Anglo-American settlers. It was during that century that the mixed-race Creoles of Color (or gens de couleur libre, "free persons of color") came into their own as an ethnic group, enjoying many of the legal rights and privileges of whites. They occupied a middle ground between whites and enslaved blacks, and as such often possessed property and received formal educations. After the Civil War, most Creoles of Color lost their privileged status and joined the ranks of impoverished former black slaves. All the while, however, the word Creole persisted as a term also referring to white Louisianians, usually of upper-class, non-Cajun origin (although, confusingly, even Cajuns sometimes were called Creoles, primarily by outsiders unfamiliar with local ethnic labels)."

Read more here.

FYI: Tony Chachere's (pronounced SASH-ery's)

And hey, Dan, I was born in Decatur, so anybody can pick up on this stuff. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]FYI: Tony Chachere's (pronounced SASH-ery's)
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is funny. I always thought it was pronounced "Cash-ears" until I spoke recently to someone from Texas, who said it was pronounced "Cash-ur-ays". Who knew it was actually "SASH-ery's"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Lafayette folk have taught me to pronounce it "shaw-share-REE's". I don't know if that's right or not, but that's what they called him. According to the first cookbook that Mr Chachere wrote, he was evidently quite a barbecue cook himself...

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Thanks Doug
I always wondered what the proper punctuation was. I did a beer butt chicken on the WSM yesterday and used Tony Chachere's. Good stuff!!

rj

I have a friend here who insists on pronouncing it SHASH-ery's which would almost be believable, except for radio and TV ads which always say SASH-.

Guess it can be counted among those others: Brett Favre (FARV), Malivai (Mala-VEE-a) Washington, Sade (SHAR-day). And then there's Joe Theismann, who was allegedly Joe THEES-man until he was being considered for the Heisman.

Dan-

We did two of similar size last weekend. Wife rubbed them with olive oil, then salt and peppered them. Then put bacon across breast and secured it with toothpicks up toward where wings used to be. We cooked them breast up for about half the time, then turned them over. Although they were good and moist, we decided that we would try breast-side down all the way next time--or at least maybe start off breast-side up, give bacon a chance to flavor for a while, then turn them breast-side down for the majority of the cook.

Tom Barineau (No, I'm not a coon-***)

Well first I would like to say thanks to everyone who replied I have more then enough info on creole. I stablized the smoker at about 250* shown in picture 1. I smoked this bird for 3 hours before I checked for doneness. The smoker hung around 250* and the food around 155*. I kicked the smoker up to 285* and that brought the food temp up to 165* in about 30 min. 30 more min. and internal the temp was 171* and I pulled bird off the smoker. The last two
pictures are of the final product.
Cnv0072.jpg

Cnv0073.jpg

Cnv0074.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back