Poultry paradise for lunch

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
The swedes are known for their "Smorgasbord". I'd say they learned from us.
My oldest son is for some reason not very fond of cold meat from pigs, so I had to make something for him so he can enjoy the breakfasts and cold lunches this christmas. We almost never do hot lunches here where I live.

So, two duck breasts and a turkey breast, cured for five days and pre- cooked on the WSM, that did not get hot enough due to me beeing too greedy on the charcoal, low temperatures and high wind, was finished in a pan and in the oven inside. Instead I used the WSM to make something more forgiving, salted and smoked almonds. Sorry, no picture. Weather is strange this year.

DSC_1025_zps0a3c7fd8.jpg

Here is a picture of the pieces, and as you can see, no coals. The grill I is just a chamber. I could have used a cardboard box if I wanted to. I started up my cold smoker and let it run for about four hours.

DSC_1024_zps9b46d6a9.jpg

The final result, first the cold smoked duck breast, and the turkey. The taste is a bit strong, needs to mellow out a bit. Otherwise, as expected.

DSC_1027_zpsdc2877c8.jpg

DSC_1028_zpsbe064373.jpg

Happy holidays to everyone who used some of their time on this planet to view the post.

Geir Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend, the cook looks amazing. I hope someday to visit your part of the world, people like you make it even more interesting to me

Happy holidays to everyone who used some of their time on this planet to view the post.
Sir Geir, "some of us" actually look forward to your posts to assure that living & breathing "on this planet" is worthwhile... as amusing as you are, I do appreciate your humor to the point where I can copy it outside this forum without being corrected.
Now, if I may...

Merry Christmas to the Widar Family!

Thanks for sharing this Geir. Your posts are always enjoyable. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

If only we all had some more time. And, amen to strange weather and beautiful smoked duck & turkey...

Nice Geir!! How long do you have to wait for it to mellow out?

In my experience just about the same time that it takes before medium heat bacon needs to develop from that bitter, flat burnt taste, three days to a week. This also applies to cold smoked salmon.

Thank you all for your nice and friendly comments, and merry Christmas to you all as well.

Back