Post initial smoke questions/observations

Alex L

Yesterday I ran my newly acquired 18.5" WSM through its paces using the Basic Barbecued Chicken recipe
on the main page. Here are a few observations and questions.

1. The rub turned out extremely spicy, tears in the eyes spicy. Are there any decent premixed rubs that don't cost an arm and a leg available in your typical supermarket? I don't mind playing around with home made rubs, but would like something canned for when I'm in a rush.

2. My water pan seems much deeper than what I've found in one of the videos here on how to foil a pan. The 18" heavy duty foil is not large enough to cover it because it's so deep. Where did I go wrong?

3. To avoid using water (as most suggesting) for lower temperature smoking, what is the next easiest/cost effective solution?

4. The crisping of the chicken skin step of the recipe was a disaster. The fat started dripping from the chicken resulting in flames. It seems that putting the grate directly on the coal ring is way too close to the coals. Where did I go wrong?

5. When adding wood chunks, are they supposed to catch on fire right away? Or did I throw them in too soon?

Overall I'd say it was a successful initial smoke, no one went hungry
wsmsmile8gm.gif

1) there are lots of great rubs out there that aren't to spicy. Check in the spice area of your local grocery store. Clubhouse has a good line of rubs.

2) use two strips of foil.Lay one on top of the other and fold together along the long edge a few times. Then open it up and you will have one big piece of tinfoil with a water tight seam.

3)You can just foil the pan.Do a double layer with an air space in between to avoid burning grease.

4)I do chicken on the kettle so haven't had this problem. Maybe try removing the water pan and grilling on the lower rack.

5)Yes wood chunks can catch on fire when thrown on hot coals. They will go out and smolder once you close the door and restrict oxygen to the fire. When doing a minion start try burying the chunks under the lit and mixed with unlit.

Glad it worked out for you.

1. If you have a Bass Pro Shop in the area, I believe Plowboy rubs are available there, and the Plowboys Yardbird is an outstanding rub for chicken and pork. If no BPS, they can be ordered on-line as well. I get mine through Great Lakes BBQ Supply.
2. Ditto what Bob said.
3. I throw five or 6 crushed soda cans in the water pan and cover the pan with a layer of foil to catch the grease. They cruched cans create an air gap to help prevent the grease from burning.
4. Getting chicken skin crisp in a smoker is kinda like the Holy Grail of BBQ. Most folks shoot for "bite through" skin.
5. Again what Bob said. I use 4 - 6 chunks of wood, with all but one buried in the unlit and one laying on top where it comes in immediate contact with the lit during a Minion start. You should be able to smell when a chunks starts to ignite.

The water pan in Chris' video is from an older model WSM. The newer ones have a deeper pan.
Maybe Chris will update the video sometime.

Don't worry, you did nothing "wrong", just need experience like we all did.
icon_wink.gif

1. Just reduce or omit the cayenne. Stubb's BBQ Spice Rub is good and widely available. Wal-Mart has Stubbs as well as Weber, KC Masterpeice, and McCormick rubs - all 'okay' in a pinch.

2. As Bob recommended - pinch-fold two sheets together.

3. 12" or 14" Clay saucer from any Home Depot/Lowe's/Garden Center, foiled and put inside a foiled water pan.

4. Yeah, you really need to watch this close. If flare ups are unmanageable, try using no water then, when it's time to crisp, use leather welding gloves to remove the water pan and 'grill' the chicken on the lower grate.

5. Following the Basic BBQ Chicken steps, it's not surprising that the chunks catch fire but they should go out after assembly.

Alex for chicken I like putting on upper rack with NO water pan , like a UDS. Easier to get crisp skin.
For long & slow because a new WSM ( like all new smokers) leaks more it will run hot. I'd use water in the pan for the first few cooks , it'll be easier to control. After a few cooks you can go without water if you wish.

I usually throw together a quick rub, tsp each of onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper then add enough paprika to double the volume of the rub. You can add other spices but this is my base go to rub.

When crisping the skin did you use the lid? If not try putting the grate on, then the chicken, then the lid. The lid will reduce available oxygen and wont allow much flare ups. And do it quickly, depending on how hot the coals are it can be as quick as a minute or less to char the skin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Chappel:
I usually throw together a quick rub, tsp each of onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper then add enough paprika to double the volume of the rub. You can add other spices but this is my base go to rub.

When crisping the skin did you use the lid? If not try putting the grate on, then the chicken, then the lid. The lid will reduce available oxygen and wont allow much flare ups. And do it quickly, depending on how hot the coals are it can be as quick as a minute or less to char the skin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not use the lid, I followed the instructions as they were on the site. I would be worried not being able to see what's going on
icon_smile.gif
I think as other suggested perhaps removing the water pan and grilling on the lower grate for a while would work.

rub your chicken with olive oil before you apply rub. That will make it crispy. If you are doing only chicken in the smoker I suggest you go with a "smoke roasting" strategy at 375F and if that isn't crispy enough crank up the temp higher for last 30 min next time. I smoke roast with no water in the pan, just foiled pan for ease of cleaning.

If you can't get WSM up to 375 or hotter with all vents open, put a stick under the lid to crack it open or prop the door slightly open--see wsm mods section

Back